Full-time Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC PLC) Recruitment – Assistant Manager – Legal Services
The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC Plc), a reputable Electricity Distribution Company in Nigeria (backed by international investors and shareholders) is currently seeking experienced professionals to fill the vacant position below:
The Job : Assistant Manager – Legal Services
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
AEDC Plc being a dynamic organization, is looking at growing potential within the Company. To this effect, the Company is currently seeking experienced professionals to join it as Assistant Manager, Legal Services: This person will work on Investigations, Advisory, Dispute Resolutions, Legal Documentation and Compliance.
Major Roles & Responsibilities
- Ability to initiate and complete any of the team member assignments.
- Leads one or more of the teams in Legal Services.
- Leads negotiations and meetings with internal and external departments.
- Drives performance of unit KPIs and SLAs.
- Ensures quality assurance of deliverables.
- Keeps expenses within budget limits.
- Submits weekly and monthly reports to General Manager Legal Services.
- Backs up for General Manager Legal Services. Train subordinates.
To Assist with:
Litigation & Arbitration:
- Efficient case management for civil and criminal cases excluding cases of electricity theft and vandalism.
- Managing and tracking expenditure under the litigation budget.
- Managing, monitoring and reduction in litigation spend.
- Prequalification and supervision of external counsel and debt collectors.
- Engagement & Dis-engagement of External Counsel and debt collectors.
- Reduction in number of litigations by promoting out of court settlements through the use of ADR to efficiently resolve disputes where beneficial to the company.
- Evaluating the merits of cases filed against or on behalf of the company and facilitating meetings with external counsel to agree AEDC strategy.
- Reviewing of court processes prior to filing.
- Compilation, assignment and monitoring of civil cases for prosecution and defence on behalf of the company.
- Facilitating the appearance of witnesses during court hearings and preparing witnesses for court hearings.
- Maintenance of comprehensive filing (electronic and hard copies) of all processes and correspondence and updating electronic database.
- Engaging with the insurance broker(s) to promote beneficial settlements for incidents.
- Attendance at court and arbitration hearings.
- Coordinating settlement meetings.
- Biannual & annual performance ranking of external counsel.
- Working with appropriate directorates and convening meetings with external counsel in order to determine the best redress or response strategy to disputes.
- Apply ADR and other dispute resolution techniques to resolve complaints initiated by law firms in favor of the company.
- Preventing complaints from degenerating to litigation.
- Participating in incident investigations to provide a legal perspective and ensure comprehensive report writing.
- Participating in staff investigations and providing a legal perspective.
- Ensuring appropriate documentation, record and current status of incidents and disputes in electronic databases.
- Engaging with the insurance broker(s) to promote beneficial settlements.
- Engaging with security agencies to develop a strategy for the arrest of offenders in conjunction with the Security Unit.
- Monitoring the repayment of debts assigned to debt collectors.
- Follows up on correspondence and liaise with Commercial Services on the repayment of MDA debts Advisory & Compliance.
- Participating in staff investigation panels and providing a legal perspective.
- Providing notification of new laws and regulations and their impact on the company.
- Providing timely and practical legal opinions.
- Ensuring savings for the company by ensuring AEDC is not subject to unlawful taxes and levies.
- Developing compliance database on the legislation and regulations that impact on AEDC’s business.
- Notifying relevant departments of their compliance obligations ahead of deadlines.
- Monitoring corporate compliance with legislation and regulations.
- Pursues and promotes the enactment of legislation favourable to AEDC.
- Keeping track of pending bills within the legislature in order to contest bills adverse to the interests of the company.
- Populating and updating relevant Legislation and NERC Regulations on the company intranet.
Contracts & Documentation:
- Engagement with Procurement and user departments to ascertain the company needs.
- Ensures that contract amendments / reviews are gathered and acted as appropriate.
- Preparation of comprehensive standard templates for efficient roll out of agreements.
- Review of non-standard templates to ensure protection of company interests.
- Conducting searches at CAC on counterparties.
- Negotiation of contract terms in favour of the company.
- Participation in Tender Committee meetings.
- Development and maintenance of contract database.
- Notification of user departments two months prior to contract expiry.
- Circulation of contract obligation to contract manager.
- Proper filling of contracts and originating documents.
- Creates and maintains soft copies of all agreements.
- Creates and maintains documentation registry.
Education, Experience &Technical Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law LLB, Barrister at Law (BL).
- Minimum of 7 years post call.
- Membership of NBA and a Post graduate qualification will be an added advantage.
- Tenacity to manage a large work load.
- Broad knowledge of Company and Commercial Law.
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion.
- Awareness of the sensitivity and confidentiality involved in the function.
- IT proficient.
Other Required Competencies:
- Resilient and able to deliver under pressure.
- Takes full ownership and demonstrates focused determination to complete work on time.
- Ability to work within a team with minimal supervision.
How To Apply
The Cover Letter should be addressed to:
Abuja Electricity Distribution Company Plc,
1 Ziquinchor Street, Off IBB Way,
Wuse Zone 4, Abuja, FCT,
Attention: The Director, Corporate Services.
- All applications should include Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter.
- The subject of your application should be position applied for. Failure to follow the instructions will lead to disqualification of your application.
- Only soft copy of applications will be treated and shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview