Full-time African Development Bank Group (AfDB): Chief Business Coordinator – AHHD0 Recruitment
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
The Job : Chief Business Coordinator – AHHD0
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: ADB/18/180
- The Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human, and Social Development is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are:
- To develop, policy and strategy;
- Provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions;
- Develop new financing instruments;
- The Vice President will act as the spoke person to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
The Hiring Department
- AHHD leads the Bank’s efforts to enhance human capital for Africa’s economic transformation. The Department spearheads the achievement of the High 5s on “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa” and contribute to the other High 5s.
- The Department has two divisions (i) Education, Human Capital and Skills Development Division (AHHD1), which focuses on scaling-up of Bank’s support to education, human capital and employment/livelihoods; and (ii) Public Health, Security and Nutrition Division (AHHD2) focusing on strengthening health systems and nutrition for human wellbeing. It also has two Flagship Initiatives; 1) The Jobs for Youth in Africa (JFYA) and 2) The African Leaders for Nutrition (ALN) Initiative and hosts various trust funds.
- The Business Coordinator will be an essential part of the AHHD Front Office and report directly to the Director.
- The position will provide strategic advice and foster coordination across the two divisions of the department to ensure effective delivery and realization of the Department objectives.
- The incumbent will coordinate the work programme of the AHHD to ensure that the appropriate mechanisms are in place to deliver on the Department programme/project pipeline development, lending program, safeguarding timely delivery, and mobilizing additional resources and productive partnership engagement.
- The incumbent will provide support and advice to the Director in designing the Department’s work programme, and on strategic engagement with the Business Delivery Hub and Country Offices, other department and complexes and generation of Non sovereign operations.
- The position will further coordinate portfolio performance management and results management in compliance with related strategies/policies within the responsibilities of the Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Director AHHD, the Business Coordinator is responsible for execution of the following activities with the associated deliveries:
- Provide support to the formulation and implementation of the AHHD’S strategic policy objectives, and ensure their alignment with operational priorities and the Bank’s response to emerging corporate issues.
- Promote a one Bank approach by ensuring common objectives across the divisions of the Department and with other departments and complexes are followed up and implemented to foster inter division work and collaborative and relevant wider bank engagement to deliver on the department’s mandate.
- Provide advice to the Department in the interaction with other Departments and Complexes to ensure effective coordination and the strategic positioning of AHHD – including participating in activities aimed at improving Bank-wide activities such as representing the Unit in relevant Bank Committees, Initiatives, Task Forces, etc.
- Work in partnership with the internal and external stakeholders to promote robust programme/project pipeline development and innovation within the AHHD.
- Advise and support the Director on management of matters pertaining to the budget and resources requirements related to the Department inclusive of resourcing of professional staff to develop and maintain a mix and level of skills appropriate to the evolving operational needs of the Department and the Bank
- Coordinate the execution and monitoring of AHHD work programme, portfolio performance review and ensure adherence to high quality standards in the work of the Department.
- Support and follow-up actions on the Department’s participation in internal meetings or events (e.g. Board meetings, Bank AGM); and external regional and international meetings, workshops, seminars, conference etc. where matters related to Human capital are discussed – including coordinating and providing technical inputs and guidance to the necessary technical reports, briefing materials, speeches, presentations, and feedback reports for the Bank.
- Provide mentoring, coaching and technical guidance to professional staff.
- Coordinate the Department’s relationship with other Multilateral Development Banks, International Organizations, bilateral agencies, research organizations etc., to monitor and analyze developments, and share and learn best practices on Human capital in Africa and the world.
- Document lessons learnt for policy dialogue, public advocacy and future programming, disseminating learning within the Bank and externally.
- Support the HR and performance management of the department, including recruitment, goal setting, learning, performance improvement plans, documentation and record keeping.
- Work closely with the Director and the Division Managers as a member of the departmental management team; represent the Director and Department at internal and external fora.
- Perform any other work task assigned by the Director.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Public Policy or a related discipline and be professionally certified in the relevant profession or field of study.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience in the formulation and implementation of policies, programs and projects either within the Bank or with a similar development institution.
- Deep knowledge of development issues pertaining to human capital building and strong knowledge of socio-economic development issues and policies of African countries.
- Demonstrated experience in portfolio management within a multilateral financial institution.
- Experience in the preparation and/or review of strategies/operations in a multilateral financial institution.
- Knowledge and experience with African Development Bank operations or sister multilateral development finance institutions.
- Private sector experience is an added advantage.
- Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Broad experience in team building and relationship management.
- The ability to take initiative/spot appropriate opportunities/push strategy through to execution.
- A good listener with cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage change.
- Experience working in a team in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, international and professional environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to present and win support for ideas.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); Experience in the use of SAP is advantageous.
How To Apply
This position does not attract international terms and conditions (the post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).