Full-time African Development Bank Group (AfDB): Principal Interpreter (English Language) Recruitment
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
The Job : Principal Interpreter (English Language)
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to guarantee overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The Complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department:
- The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure and facilitate, as required by the Bank’s Agreement, written and verbal communication in the working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) on all issues submitted to the Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank in furtherance of the its mission.
- In this regard, the Department accords high priority to ensuring an accurate and effective flow of communication within the Bank, and also between the Bank, its shareholders, development partners and the public at large, by providing the highest quality of translation, interpretation and terminological services to the Institution. It also seeks to promote multilingualism to enhance communication among staff and with the Bank’s clients and partners.
- Under the general supervision of the Interpretation Division Manager, the Principal Interpreter (English) will provide high quality interpretation services (simultaneous and consecutive) at high-level meetings, events and functions of the Bank, prepare glossaries on technical issues and participate in workings tasked with reviewing various issues related to interpretation services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide high quality interpretation (simultaneous and consecutive) in the working languages of the Bank during meetings of the Boards of Governors, Boards of Directors, senior management, Administrative Tribunal, ADF replenishment negotiations, interviews, GCI meetings, seminars, training sessions and meetings with other international organizations among others;
- Co-ordinate interpretation teams covering Bank meetings and events organized outside the Bank’s Headquarters at the request of the Division Manager;
- Prepare glossaries on highly technical themes for use by interpreters and other stakeholders;
- Participate in working groups chaired by the Division Manager tasked with reviewing various issues related to interpretation services, policies and guidelines drawing on industry best practice;
- Cultivate and maintain a thorough understanding of all matters related to the Bank’s mandate and complex and evolving development issues in general with a view to delivering high quality interpretation even at very short notice;
- Serve as CHLS project coordinator for a specific Complex of the Bank with a view to sensitizing same on the work and requirements of the Interpretation Division;
- Provide inputs where necessary to the Division Manager’s report on the performance of freelance interpreters recruited by the Bank;
- Participate in briefing sessions ahead of technical meetings;
- Perform any other duties as may be required by the Division Manager.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Master’s Degree in Conference Interpreting or a related field;
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant practical working experience as an interpreter experience in an international organisation will be an asset;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and French. Knowledge of any of the other languages used by the Bank (Arabic, Portuguese) will be an advantage;
- Ability to interpret into the ‘B’ language(s) will be an advantage;
- Ability to work under pressure and in difficult environments;
- Ability to very quickly grasp and digest technical and complex issues;
- Strong team player with strong booth team spirit;
- Ability to work independently and coordinate with peers and other experts in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team;
- Tact, respect and diplomacy in dealing with clients and other team members;
- Good knowledge of the use of Bank’s standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
How To Apply
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.