Full-time Associate Investment Officer at the International Finance Corporation
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In FY17, we delivered a record $19.3 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to help end poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
The Job : Associate Investment Officer
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
The MAS department is recruiting an Associate Investment Officer to join the Manufacturing Team, who are responsible for sourcing and executing transactions in the manufacturing sectors/sub sectors in Sub Saharan Africa. IFC Investment Officers are an integral part of multidisciplinary teams of highly qualified professionals, who have expertise in the regions and/or sectors in which we do business. Investment teams consist of lawyers, environmental and social specialists, and economists, as well as technical specialists. The selected candidate will be based in Lagos, Nigeria, and will work under the oversight of the Industry Manager, Manufacturing, for MAS based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions, portfolio restructurings, rescheduling, capital increases, equity sales, etc
- Develop a strong mapping and pipeline of good quality investment opportunities.
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for straightforward transaction
- Participate in negotiations; use negotiation skills to overcome impasses and finalize negotiations in straightforward transactions.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities.
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues in order to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to the specific sector challenges, and achieve sustainable development impact.
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to increase the development impact of new or portfolio projects.
MBA, masters degree in Finance or equivalent;
- At least 6 – 8 years of work experience for a major commercial or investment bank with significant emerging markets presence, an international financial institution or a private equity firm;
- Experience in investment transaction, with proven success in developing client relationships as well as sourcing, negotiating, structuring and closing quality investments;
- Knowledge of and experience in emerging markets; knowledge of the manufacturing sector/sub-sectors a plus;
- Strong business judgment in identifying potential business partners;
- Strong financial and credit skills; sound business judgment and demonstrated ability to structure a variety of financial instruments (debt and equity);
- Client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on client needs effectively;
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of clients, financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials;
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, ability to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries and to build networks across the region, including the ability to mentor and coach others to achieve results;
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills;
- Proven ability to work independently and deliver promptly and efficiently under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Willingness to travel extensively and geographic flexibility;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; fluency in other languages (French, Portuguese or Spanish) a plus;
How To Apply