Full-time British High Commission (BHC) Ongoing Recruitment
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
The Job :
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
The jobholder will work closely with the Armed Forces of Nigeria and Ministry of Defence to support development and implementation of strategic reform programmes. They will support and directly report to the Hd British Defence Staff West Africa/Defence Adviser in delivering a range of UK Defence Engagement objectives including defence reform, defence sales and institutional capacity building. They will be expected to manage significant networks of Nigerian defence interlocutors and UK cross government stakeholders, both at post and in Whitehall, including at senior levels.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
- Develop relationships with key interlocutors in the Nigerian Armed Forces and Ministry of Defence.
- Provide advice to help shape and develop the North East Nigeria Security and Stability Programme.
- Support initiatives to reform Nigerian defence procurement and modernisation strategy.
- Engage cross Whitehall (x-WHL) and Inform HMG Policy. This will require consultation and communication across several partners so to advise on the development and updating of UKs Africa strategy and policy.
- Contribute to Defence Policy development. In line with HMG policy help develop the UK Defence policy which supports the Africa strategy.
- Be the principle officer providing policy advice to UK military personnel.
- Draft Ministerial Submissions (MINSUBs) on behalf of UK Defence policy that will require ministerial approval such as those that maybe required to support procurement and modernisation programmes.
- Draft and mange Overseas Security and Justice Assessments (OSJAs) on behalf of the UK Defence programme and ensure that they reflect the International Human Rights Legislation (RISK) that the UK may face when working with specified units within the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
- Capture Strategic Lessons learnt during the course of your appointment so to inform future plans and decisions.
- Provide advice and support to the WA Defence Adviser network.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Professional background in defence and security sectors
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Experience at successfully working X-HMG, and of successfully engaging and managing multiple stakeholders.
- Experience in the UK Africa Strategic Policy.
- Dual Nationality (UK/Nigeria)
How To Apply