Full-time British High Commission (BHC) Ongoing Recruitment
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
The Job :Furnishing Assistant
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Ref Id: 37/19 ABJ
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Type of Position: Permanent
Job Subcategory: Estates
Working hours per week: 37
Start Date: 1 December 2019
Slot: 2 Openings
- The Job holder will assist with the day to day running of the estates and the office; ensure deep cleaning and set-up of residential properties; general upkeep and cleaning of the furnishings stores and collection, moving, and delivery of floats and house packs to the various FCO residencies within Abuja.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Supervise cleaning of the communal areas within the Estates
- Manage the delivery and collection of domestic float for both office and residence
- Supervise cleaning and set-up of houses in readiness for new occupants and manage cleaning of Transit houses
- Routine maintenance of the furnishings stores and surrounding areas ensuring they are orderly, clean and free from hazards
- Work as part of a team in preparing properties for occupation
- Support the Estates Officers in managing and updating property inventories
- Report back to the Estate Officers any issues or items damaged or missing from the properties
- Movement of Furniture items, White goods, Household equipment, etc. around the Abuja estate (as assigned by the Estate Helpdesk/Estates Officer/Estates Manager), taking care to ensure no damage is caused to goods in transit
- Cover and wrap-up all furniture in the store and in any vacant house
- Fold up vacant houses and ensure all furniture items are properly wrapped before commencement of any refurbishment works by TWG/contractors
- Supervise the distribution of drinking water round the Estates
- Distribute cleaning materials and toiletries to the Guards as assigned by the Estate Officer
- Coordinate laundry of all soft furnishings
- Perform administrative and any other duties that maybe assigned by the Estates team lead or Estate Officers
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
- Must possess either a University degree or an HND.
- Must have at least 2 years work experience in a similar position
- Flexible approach to problem solving with an ability to think on their feet
- Ability to work in a high paced team
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills
- A self-starter able to work with minimal supervision
- Good organisational skills – capable of working quickly and accurately
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office tools.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Good Customer Service/Relations skills
- Heavy Lifting Capacity (up to 45kg)
- Attention to details and use of personal initiative
- Good team player skills
- Proficient written and spoken English
- Ability to Drive with a valid driver’s licence
- Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
- Full time position, with core working hours between:
- Monday to Thursday: 8:00 am – 4:00 pmFriday: 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
- However, the job holder will need to be flexible to respond to incidents and operational demands as the need arises.
Starting monthly salary
How To Apply
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening. Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.