Full-time Custodial Supervisor at the U.S. Embassy
The U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below:
The Job : Custodial Supervisor
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Announcement Number: Lagos-2019-014
Series/Grade: LE – 1305 5
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-5
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Basic Function of the Position
- Incumbent supervises and coordinates crew of 18 custodians performing janitorial operations.
- S/he ensures that Janitors engaged in the cleaning, mopping and washing of carpets, tiles and concrete surface of Consulate Office Building (COB) and other USG owned and leased properties are performed according to the prescribed policies, procedures and regulations.
- S/he ensures that cleaning materials and cleaning agents used are in compliance with safety/pest control authorized products listings, as well as ensures that receptacles, trashcans, and dustbins are emptied, washed and sanitized.
- Provides advice to FAC Maintenance Inspector on janitorial matters and reports issues.
- Additionally, s/he supervises and provides training on the operations of janitorial machines, equipment and use of supplies. Incumbent reports directly to the Facilities (FAC) Maintenance Inspector.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Experience: Four (4) years experience in janitorial services, which includes two (2) years of supervisory experience is required.
- Must be familiar with the theories and practices of janitorial services.
- Must have knowledge of cleaning, supplies, applications, procedures and equipment.
- Must be familiar with the safe handling and application of cleaning products, tools and equipment.
- Completion of Secondary School or high school education is required.
- This may be tested.
- Level III (Good working knowledge) writing/speaking/reading English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be capable of training or instructing subordinates and supervise work independently.
- Must have patience and ability to supervise and clearly communicate with supervisors and subordinates.
- Ability to safely use all janitorial tools, equipment and supplies, as well as ability to perform heavy physical work.
- Must be able to read, understand, adhere to and ensure compliance with products and equipment instructions, follow established standard work procedures and safety and health policies and procedures.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following Link (Pdf format).
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees (PDF) before you apply.
- NGN N3,372,091 – NGN N3,372,091
- USD $28,945 – USD $28,945
How To Apply