Full-time Deputy Medical Coordinator at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The Job : Deputy Medical Coordinator
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Number of Position:01
Open to: Nigeria Nationals Only (Male/Female)
- The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
- The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, and nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
- In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Kroskawa LGA.
- In 2019, PUI will further develop its integrated approach by adding a WASH component to its comprehensive response.
- PUI is now looking for its Health team in Maiduguri.
- Under the supervision of the Medical Coordinator, the Deputy Medical Coordinator will support the Medical Coordinator in the implementation of the overall medical content, activity and resources in the mission, by assuming tasks delegated by him/her and giving personal assistance in other specific activities, in order to facilitate the proper medical management of the projects and medical follow-up of the staff in the mission.
Responsibilities And Tasks
Quality Assurance of Medical Projects Activities:
- Improve the quality health care service provision across the whole of the mission
- Participate actively in the supervision of health activities through checklists, observations, and report to the medical Coordinator
- Develop and implement of Standard Operation Procedures (SOP) in coordination with the Health Coordinator and Project Managers for quality assured health service provision.
- Ensure that the team is following up proper medical protocols, and applying them according to international and national standards and guidelines
- In collaboration with the Medical Coordinator, ensure tools and practices across the whole of the mission are harmonised and capitalised in relation to PUI tools and help to update them in conjunction with the medical Coordinator
- Ensure, appropriate health service provision, usage of medications, medical consumables or equipment according to the implemented Standard Operation Procedures.
- Develop and implement Standards Operation Procedures (SOP) in order to ensure an appropriate health service provision, usage of medications, medical consumables or equipment across the whole mission
- Ensure the rational use of medicines and the proper administration of treatments in line with national and international protocols.
- In coordination with the Medical Coordinator, Pharmacy Manager and Project Managers, logistical, ensure that medical requests are in line with the procurement framework and internal procurement guidelines.
- Draw up Job descriptions as needed for health and nutrition staff, in collaboration with the Medical Coordinator.
- Organize meetings regularly with Health Prom Managers and their deputies.
Representation of PUI with Internal and External Stakeholders:
- Represent the association with local actors involved in the implementation of medical programs, and ensures that good relations are maintained with each of them.
- Participate in meetings and reports on highlights to the Medical Coordinator, When necessary
- Participate actively in the preparation and the smooth organization of donor visits
- Collaborate with other departments (MHPSS, Nutrition, Protection, and Food Security) as needed to ensure smooth implementation and integration of services.
Ensure the Safety of Property and People:
- Ensure that the safety plan is known by the teams under his/her responsibility, and that safety rules are respected.
- Ensure that project/s, methodologies, or selection criteria do not place beneficiaries, PUI staff or any other persons at risk in anyway.
- Alert the Head of Mission without delay, in case of impending danger to teams or beneficiaries
- Ensure that health staff, is provided with safety gear adapted to their activities and use them according to the guidelines
- Ensure the respect of PUI rules and inform the Medical Coordinator of any disrespect of the rules.
Capacity Building and Technical Support Ensure the Safety of Property and People:
- Assess training needs, develop training plans, facilitate and perform training for medical and non-medical staff, and follow up the impact after training.
- Under the supervision of the Medical Coordinator, support the Health and Nutrition Project Managers to develop and implement training plan based on training needs assessment and project objectives.
- Attend and support Health and Nutrition Project Managers in trainings given by PU in the field.
Development of the Health Strategy and New Proposals:
- Participates in identifying health-related needs in coordination with the Medical Coordinator (and Health Program Managers)
- Support Technically the Health/Nutrition Project and Deputy Project Managers in the preparation of project proposals for the Health and Nutrition Sectors
- Contribute to the development of the mission’s operational health strategy in line with PUI health policy and the country’s national health policy
- In collaboration with the Medical Coordinator, organize annual reflection and strategic development workshops with the mission’s health staff as necessary.
Archiving And Reporting:
- Ensure proper archiving of all the documents, tools and training materials.
- Support on reporting of health activities and consumption of medical supplies.
- Ensures that epidemiological data are recorded, analyzed and shared by the health team in coordination with the Medical Coordinator, Health Program Managers among others.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
- Language skills: Fluent in English and Hausa, and good knowledge in Kanuri is an asset
- Education degree: A qualified and registered National Medical Doctor from a recognized University with a valid practicing license from Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN). A Master’s in Public health will be an added advantage.
- At least 3 years previous experience in the same field at a managerial position
- Working experience with International Organizations and/or NGO in the field of Health & Nutrition
- Demonstrate understanding of the Nigeria MOH system and structure.
Knowledge and skills:
- Good knowledge of IASC MHPSS guidelines
- Good knowledge of integration of mental health and psycho-social support services in primary health care settings
- Extensive knowledge of local MHPSS services and other health services
- Ability to train, mentor, supervise and build capacity of psycho-social workers.
- Excellent knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook
- Accurate analytical skills
- Good team management skills
- Good reporting skills
- Good problem management skills
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
How To Apply