Full-time Design Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor at Tearfund Nigeria
Tearfund is an international NGO working across 40 countries globally. Tearfund UK has a long term commitment to working with Churches globally with a vision to empower and enable them to address issues to poverty and justice.
The Job : Design Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job ID: 1732
Contract Type: Fixed Term for 2 years with possibility for extension
Responsible to: Head of WA Cluster with dotted line relationship to Head of Impact and Effectiveness Team
Main Purpose of the Job
- The Design Monitoring and Evaluation (DME) Advisor will be responsible for ensuring that country and response teams in WA cluster have effective DMEAL frameworks that can track progress, capture evidence of impact and that facilitate continuous learning and adaptation.
- The role will work closely with the Impact and Effectiveness Team to implement Tearfund corporate DMEAL initiatives and requirements, and assist in ensuring that corporate DMEAL initiatives are contextually relevant. In addition the role will help to ensure that country programs in WA are meeting Tearfund’s Quality Standards, working closely with country teams to do this.
- The role will build the technical capacity of the country teams in WA regarding design, monitoring and evaluation and learning, in turn enabling them to build the capacity of partners.
Generic Purpose of the Role
- To share in the responsibility for the overall team tasks and be responsible for carrying out specific projects.
- Liaise with internal and external contacts.
- Responsible for reviewing own personal development, and overall team tasks.
- Awareness of the Safeguarding Policy and with Tearfund’s commitment to safeguarding the welfare of all young people and vulnerable adults.
Participation in the Spiritual Life of Tearfund
- To attend cluster Staff Prayers on selected days to spend time in prayer and worship as a team.
- To lead or participate in spiritual sessions of prayer and biblical reflection within the Team.
- To be committed to Tearfund’s Missions, Values and Beliefs statement.
- To be committed to be actively working and living in accordance with Tearfund’s Christian beliefs.
- Responsible for maintaining own spiritual development.
Position in Organisation
- Reports to the WA Cluster Lead with dotted line relationship to Head of Impact and Effectiveness team.
- Works closely with Country Leads, other WA cluster staff, other teams (particularly with regards to sharing learning) and appropriate peer agencies.
- Is part of the Impact and Effectiveness Matrix Team
- Provides advice, support and accompaniment to partner staff where no country DMEAL officer is in place.
Scope of Job
The job holder will contribute significantly to the work of WA in the following areas:
- Support the planning & implementation of DMEAL frameworks at two levels (i) country/response strategy level, and (ii) key project/programme level.
- Advise on project design, programme development and funding applications (for larger restricted funding donors)
- Capacity building and accompaniment of frontline staff (and partners, when part of a key country/response initiative)
- Support the shaping and implementation of Tearfund’s corporate impact & evidence initiatives.
- Improve knowledge management & learning within the WA cluster & across the whole organisation.
- Support and advice on implementation of effective remote monitoring approaches.
- Representation and networking both internally and externally.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
Country/Response level strategic DMEAL:
- Assist country teams to design and implement effective DMEAL frameworks that can track progress, capture evidence of impact and facilitate continuous learning and adaptation.
- Advise and support country teams to analyse data and assess progress.
- Advise and support the process of developing new country/response strategies.
- Lead on the process for conducting in depth country/response strategy reviews.
- Advise and actively support the process of conducting annual reviews and reports of country/response strategy progress.
- Support country teams to monitor compliance with Tearfund’s Quality Standards.
Project/Programme level DMEAL:
- Support country teams to ensure project/programmes have effective DME frameworks in place.
- Provide advice and/or accompaniment in the design, implementation and dissemination of internal and externally led project learning reviews and evaluations.
- Support and advise on the design and implementation of remote monitoring & evaluation systems where Tearfund and/or partner staff are physically unable to enter locations to collect data.
- Advise on the design and implementation of all stages in the information management cycle including data collection & security, data cleaning & storage and data analysis & visualisation for key projects/programmes.
- Work with country and partner staff on DME compliance and implementation of institutionally funded programmes/projects.
- Advise on the design of key new projects/programmes, including appropriate needs assessments.
Capacity building, accompaniment and knowledge management:
- Design, coordinate and conduct DMEAL related capacity development.
- Identify and develop key personnel in the cluster who have high capacity or potential in DMEAL work, linking them with others in similar roles across the cluster and organisation.
- Identify, collect or develop resource and material for training and for the improvement of DMEAL work in general
- Share knowledge and experience from across the cluster and wider Tearfund.
Support Tearfund’s organisational ‘Embedding our Approaches to Impact’ agenda:
- Support the roll out of Tearfund’s new organisational DME system – Tearfund Track.
- Lead on inducting cluster staff on how to use Tearfund Track and familiarise them with DME procedures
- Assess the quality of information gathered at country level through Tearfund Track and provide advice on follow-up measures where necessary.
- Collate feedback to the Impact and Effectiveness team regarding ongoing modifications required to Tearfund Track.
- Work with Impact and Effectiveness Team on the development and implementation of organisational plans, initiatives, tools and practice on Tearfund’s Embedding our Approaches to Impact agenda
- Work with Impact and Effectiveness Team and country teams in exploring creative innovations to Tearfund’s DMEAL approaches to support measurement and learning.
Networking and representation:
- Develop external contacts with INGOs, NGOs, academics, faith-based organisations and donor communities on issues relating to DMEAL.
- Act as contact person with internal teams and external stakeholders on DMEAL issues.
- Educated to Degree level or equivalent level of knowledge
- Holds a professional qualification related to international development and/or monitoring and evaluation
- Experience of working in West Africa
- Conducting research in a development related subject
- Considerable Monitoring and Evaluation experience
- Experience of implementing and managing monitoring and evaluation activities in large scale institutionally funded programmes
- Overseas experience in humanitarian response
- Project Management
- Extensive strategy development experience
- Training / facilitating experience
- Survey design, sampling and statistical analysis experience
- Experience of designing & implementing remote monitoring systems
- Excellent written and spoken knowledge of English
- Strategic thinking and knowledge management
- Relationship-building and networking skills with the ability to influence
- Ability to synthesise, analyse and interpret complex qualitative and quantitative information and to effectively communicate to diverse audiences.
- Knowledge and experience of digital data collection and management tools and technology (e.g. mobile apps, GIS)
- Strong training, capacity building and facilitation skills with demonstrated ability to use creative approaches to match people’ learning styles.
- Ability to use initiative and judgement to deliver difficult tasks or assignments
- Ability to plan their own work and demonstrate discretion and independence.
- Ability to work under pressure and consistently deliver a high quality of service.
- Excellent oral and written English
- Excellent IT skills: Google programmes, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Sensitivity in cross-cultural communication
- Working knowledge of French preferred.
- Knowledge and application of data analysis tools (e.g. SPSS, NVivo, statistics packages)
- Excellent communication skills including effective report writing, Presentation skills, data visualisation.
- Committed learner
- Strong team worker
- Approachable and encouraging
- Ability to mobilise others and bring them along
- Flexible, able to respond to tight deadlines under pressure
- Able to maintain optimistic and positive attitude. Ability to coach and mentor
- Committed Christian
- An understanding of and commitment to Tearfund’s Mission, Values and Beliefs Statement.
- Ability to travel overseas or within the region for up to 12 weeks per year.
- All roles require a basic DBS check or a police check if located outside the UK.
How To Apply