Full-time Finance Officer at the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with 190 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
The Job : Finance Officer
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Vacancy No: IFRC03424
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Category of Staff: National Staff
Grade: Not applicable
- The Secretariat of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is organized into four Business groups in Geneva and five Business Groups in the field, namely the Regional Offices for Africa, Americas, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, and Middle East and North Africa (MENA).
- The Africa Regional Business Group is organized through cluster offices covering the National Societies in Eastern Africa, Southern Africa, West Coast, Sahel and Central Africa as well as country offices in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Republic of South Sudan, Chad, Niger, Nigeria, Somalia.
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, in its commitment to build strong National Societies and to support scaling up of National Societies’ services to the most vulnerable populations, is established in Nigeria since 2013.
- The Abuja Country Cluster Office for the management and implementation of his activities, programmes and operations, needs a Finance Officer in Abuja.
Reporting to the Senior Finance and Administration Officer in Abuja, the Finance Officer will:
- Ensure that the IFRC’s Maximum Financial Requirements are follow up.
- Assist and support the Senior Finance and Administration Officer in the financial management of the Nigeria Country Cluster Office activities and operations.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Finance Officer is responsible for
Support the SFAO in the following duties:
- Overall accounting, financial management, internal controls and the budget management support
- Bank signatory changes – (Inclusion & Deletion)
- Month end accountancy closure …. post to BOOKS ALL CODA documents and checks.
- Balance sheet management – Bank and cash on all operations within NG (Abuja Cluster)
- Balance sheet management – Staff working advances
- Balance sheet management – Prepayments and liabilities
- Treasury management
- External and Internal audits management
Regular Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Daily cash movement and petty cash operations
- Complete cash control on a daily basis, keeps records of cash movement during the day and prepares the Daily Cash Position Report after cash office is closed, making sure that actual cash on hand is accounted and all other receipts/invoices are intact.
- Ensures that all supporting documents for cash payments are complete with the necessary signatures and payments duly acknowledged.
- Reports immediately to his Supervisor all problems, discrepancies or wrong doings
- Compute and record totals of the daily transactions, to be uploaded into the accounting software
- Plans and requests daily cash needs for payments from SFAO
- Makes payment to the operation’s staffs (per diem and working advances), invoices or receipts for expenses duly approved by the person responsible
- Online bank payments initiation and ensure good quality of supporting documentation.
- Checking CODA INTRAY Abuja Cluster WANS (working advances from NS) and WAD (staff and delegate working advances) documents.
- Conduct reconciliation on Staff advances
- Book transactions into CODA INTRAY using relevant documents like OJF, FCAST, SOSC, ANY, EXPR etc
- Participate in the month end activities through adjustment journals/entries viz,
- Support in following up with the working advance returns from Ghana, Nigeria, Benin, Cote D’Ivoire, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Togo RC
- Receive and Review of working advances return both from National Society and send feedback based on the review.
- Performing analysis for foreign exchanges from CHF to other currencies
- Payroll modification for delegates
- Support the delegation month-end closure of the financial books in close collaboration with the SFAO
- Maintain and ensure that all reports of income and expenditure of the NRCS and all programs at the operation’ areas are kept.
- Contribute to the timely financial reporting to the PMER and other departments and to relevant stake holders
- Providing support and capacity building to NSs
- Train the Finance Team in financial rules and procedures
- Conduct financial briefing and debriefing in the absence of the SFAO
- Relevant university degree in Finance, Accounting or Management
- Holder of a Certified Accounting degree with specialized training in related field is an asset
- 3 years’ + experience in leading and managing Finance as Accountant
- 3 years’ + professional experience working with local or international non- governmental organization
- Very good leadership skills and confirmed financial management experience
- Experience of working with National Societies
- Basic leadership and management skills
- Strong experience in cash management showing rigorous controlling methods
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Self-supporting in computers – Very good computer skills and command of standard Microsoft office tools
- Very good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Motivated self-started personality, sense of responsibility and organization skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Flexibility and ability to travel in the operation’s areas
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Knowledge of any other Federation working languages (French) is preferred
Competencies and Values:
- National Society relations
- Communication – Teamwork
- Professionalism – Integrity – Diversity
- Results focus and accountability
How To Apply