Full-time Gender & Safeguarding Manager at Girl Effect
We’re a creative non-profit, empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
The Job : Gender & Safeguarding Manager
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
The context of the role
Girl Effect is looking for a brilliant gender and safeguarding technical expert to lead on our work in Nigeria and with the global team based in London. Based in Nigeria, the Gender & Safeguarding Manager will drive the implementation of Girl Effect’s safeguarding and gender policies ensuring strict adherence, providing thought leadership in gender and that Girl Effect remains up to date on the latest thinking, developments and evidence in the fields of gender and safeguarding
Your role is to drive the implementation of Girl Effect’s Safeguarding policy and procedures in Nigeria and ensure an effective and timely case management response to children and young people who are at risk. In practice this means participating in and contributing to all aspects of Girl Effect strategy and products in order to proactively identify and mitigate risks and ensure that safety measures are built in from design through to delivery and evaluation. By providing expert advice, capacity building and support to Girl Effect staff and partners, the post holder will be responsible for ensuring that safety is at the heart of everything we do. Reflecting our work, Girl Effect’s global and national safeguarding policy goes beyond traditional child protection boundaries and covers young people till 25 years.
- Implementation of the Safeguarding policy and procedures
- In collaboration with the Global Safeguarding Team, to ensure that the Safeguarding Policy is adapted to the local context and is reviewed and updated on an annual basis
- Work closely with staff across Girl Effect Nigeria to implement the safeguarding policy and procedures and ensure that safeguarding is prioritised across all initiatives and functions
- Develop and deliver training to all Girl Effect Nigeria staff on an annual basis and establish a programme of on-going capacity building for staff tailored to their specific area of work
- Ensure all new recruits receive a safeguarding induction within their first month of employment
- Ensure all implementing partners receive a detailed briefing on Girl Effect’s Safeguarding Requirements within the TEGA programme and ensure that a written Safeguarding Agreement is in place.
- Work with GEL TEGA and safeguarding teams to ensure partners develop robust risk assessments and risk management plans.
- Complete an annual safeguarding assessment and provide a report which summaries progress, challenges and future objectives
- Develop relationships with key government and stakeholders and other agencies and represent Girl Effect within key networks and external events focussed in safeguarding and child protection
2) Overseeing reporting and response procedures
- Ensure that there are clear, well understood reporting and response procedures at both a country level and within each initiative/product
- Ensure that reporting procedures are clearly understood by staff, partners, contractors, visitors and by children and young people themselves. This may include providing briefings, training or developing materials for dissemination, including the development of child-friendly materials.
- Act as the safeguarding focal point for staff whenever safeguarding concerns arise and ensuring cases are escalated when appropriate,
- Providing GEN and partner staff with training on completing Cause for Concern forms and effectively managing the case to ensure actions taken prioritise the best interest of the child
- Ensure that safeguarding concerns are documented and regularly analysed to inform organisational learning and improve safeguarding practice
3) Advise on the design and development of new products and initiatives
- Contribute to the design and development of new products and initiatives to ensure that safeguarding measures are built in to ensure risks are identified and mitigation measures are built into all activities.
- Provide advice and support to staff developing media content and distribution platforms to ensure the protection of children and young people is prioritised.
- Work with the Evidence team to provide technical support on safeguarding and child protection in relation to monitoring, evaluation, learning and research initiatives.
- Analyse the types of cases received, and the response provided on a regular basis to inform organisational learning and improve safeguarding practice
- Conduct landscaping analyses periodically to ensure Girl Effect Nigeria is up to date on available supply side services and manage the vetting of these services
- Keep up to date with trends and developments in the field of child protection and safeguarding and disseminate key learning from policy, practice and research to the wider team.
- Participate in the Global Safeguarding Champions Group meetings and other practice development forums arranged by Girl Effect including Global Safeguarding Team monthly calls.
- Attend the annual Global Safeguarding Training
- Identify safeguarding networks if any and represent Girl Effect Nigeria in their meetings
Gender (this includes support to the global gender team)- 50%
As the gender lead, you will be responsible for driving forward core gender components of TEGA and will work closely with the SM, Evidence, SM, Partnerships, Products and Relationships leads in Nigeria and London to ensure TEGA achieves its objectives. In addition to this, you will also be responsible for the mainstreaming of gender in GEN ensuring the organisation keeps a girl-centered approach at the heart if it’s work. A key component of your gender role is alsoto support the global gender team in thought leadership work ensuring GE remains up to date in the latest thinking in the field of gender.
- Drive gender technical expertise across GEN
- Overall support to the TEGA team to ensure girl-centered design and gender considerations are mainstreamed across TEGA research methodologies and data analysis.
- Ensure that GE Duty of Care and safeguarding policies drive the engagement with and the graduation of TEGAs.
- Provide gender technical expertise to the DFID TPM project. This includes but not limited to review of research tools, gender analysis of findings and report writing.
- Enable GEN team to ‘walk the talk’ by spearheading an internal learning agenda on gender-related issues and GE’s work for staff through formal training, films, huddles, talks, cross-country learning, etc.
- Provide technical expertise to GEN TEGA strategic decisions (proposals, develop trainings and tools, complex analysis)
- Contribute to increasing GE gender technical thought leadership by developing Nigeria specific research and sharing lessons learned.
- Support gender thought leadership and mainstreaming across Girl Effect
- Work with the global gender teams to identify key learnings in terms of gender and its impact on girls’ lives and cascade this learning across the SBC and global teams where relevant.
- Contribute to increasing GE gender technical thought leadership by developing specific research as required.
- Work with the global gender team on developing theoretical frameworks and other thought pieces to contribute to GE’s body of knowledge.
- Support the Global Gender Director in providing gender technical expertise in the development of funding and partnership proposals, as well as in the design of new initiatives, when needed.
- Provide technical expertise to global TEGA strategic decisions (proposals, develop trainings and tools, complex analysis)
- Spearhead global gender mainstreaming and internal learning by ensuring learning hurdles and trainings are delivered across the organisation, periodically conduct gender audits and work with Operations and People teams to review organisational policies providing gender expertise as required
- External representation
- Represent GEN in external gender technical meetings to remain up-to-date on the current thinking and trends in the sector, feed learning back into organisational work and to showcase GE’s approach
- Provide gender technical expertise into safeguarding policies and procedures to ensure all children and young people’s well-being, safety and best interests when engaging with GE’s work, acting as safeguarding focal points where required.
This role is being recruited as a 12 month fixed term contract.
How To Apply