Full-time International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA): Farm Supervisor Vacancy
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
The Job : Farm Supervisor
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Supervise land preparation (mowing ridging, harrowing etc.) within IITA and offsite stations;
- Jointly attend to and educate students, farmers, and other bodies during excursions to IITA with the Visitors Assistant;
- Assist in driving IITA trucks to and fro offsite stations to convey Tractors, equipment and implements;
- Supervise operators on the use and maintenance of Tractors and implements;
- Coordinate the multiplication of all IITA mandate varieties including cover crops;
- Initiate the establishment of irrigation facilities in Kano station;
- Supervise planting and harvesting of cover crops;
- Assist in the management of the entire Kano Farm to international standard;
- Coordinate training on tractorization;
- Perform any other farm duties as may be assigned by the Head of Station.
- B.Sc/HND in Agricultural Engineering or any other Agricultural Extension related discipline with at least 5 years working experience preferably in a very large farm.
The ideal candidate must have:
- The ability to manage multiple priorities/tasks effectively;
- Good knowledge of Agronomy and/or Farm Management
- The ability to work with little or no supervision under pressure in agricultural working environment;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Have strong computer skills;
- Have ability to drive IITA’s earthmoving equipment and vehicles with a valid Driver’s license.
How To Apply