Full-time International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA): Postdoctoral Fellow, Cassava Molecular Breeder Recruitment
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture.
The Job : Postdoctoral Fellow, Cassava Molecular Breeder
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
- IITA seeks a highly motivated individual to work on cassava breeding using genomic selection within the Next Generation Cassava Breeding project. The primary activities include phenotypic and genotypic characterization of germplasm populations, describing genetic architecture of breeding traits and implementation of genomic selection and marker-assisted selection. Other opportunities are exploration of a large repository of genomic and phenotype cassava data (www.cassavabase.org) produced in the first phase of the project.
- The Next Generation Cassava Breeding (www.nextgencassava.org) project aims to significantly increase the rate of genetic gain in cassava breeding and unlock the full potential of cassava, a staple crop central to food security and livelihoods across Africa. The project implements genomic selection to accelerate breeding cycles to develop high yielding, climate resilient, higher pest and disease resistant varieties that meet farmer and consumer demands.
- As part of the NEXTGEN project, the postdoctoral fellow will get broad exposure and work closely with a global genomics and breeding community, including Cornell University, National Root Crops Research Institute in Nigeria, the National Crops Resources Research Institute in Uganda, Tanzania’s Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, and Fisheries, the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), the Boyce Thompson Institute, and USDA-ARS.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will undertake the following tasks:
- Develop improved cassava lines by working at the interphase between field breeding, genomic selection and marker assisted selection.
- Implement multi-environment field trials to evaluate performance of new populations and make advancement decisions to support the breeding pipeline.
- Carry out routine single and multi-environment mixed-model analysis of field trial data.
- Carry out population genetic analyses to describe germplasm collections using genome-wide SNP markers.
- Participate in capacity development activities within IITA and with partners.
- Supervise and manage national staff and graduate students as needed.
- Participate in resource mobilization with cassava research teams.
- Publish research findings in peer reviewed journals.
- Stay current on relevant technical advances.
- The candidate should have a Ph.D in Plant or Animal Breeding or Agronomy.
- Strong background in breeding, quantitative genetics, statistics, and molecular technologies.
- Highly self-motivated, detail-oriented, and innovative.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Good project management skills.
- Demonstrated experience with statistical programming in R.
- Strong record of innovation and process improvement in breeding.
- Strong understanding of management and utilization
The contract will be for an initial period of two years with possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
How To Apply