Full-time International/National Consultant at the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
The Job : International/National Consultant (Editor)
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job Number: 513643
Work Type: Consultancy
Purpose of Assignment
- The expertise is limited at the UNICEF Country Office and the process of deploying the services of an editor will be easily facilitated under the terms of a longer-term consultancy.
Specific Project Objective to which the Consultant is related
- To support the Country Office’s ongoing private and public advocacy work as well as partner engagement efforts, the Communication Section is looking to hire professional editors who can produce high quality writing that be used in advocacy materials and programme communications. An editor is also required to support the rollout of the Digital Transformation Project.
Major Tasks to be accomplished:
- Research and/or write or edit products into reader-friendly products devoid of jargon and acronyms
- Ensure clarity, consistency and readability of the text for the intended audience
- Correct all grammar mistakes and remove all redundancies to make content clear
- The contractor will edit from their own office.
- All hardware and software requirements will be provided by the consultant
- Produce reader-friendly products, appropriate for audience, devoid of jargon, acronyms and technicalities. These products to include human interest stories, content for the web page and web articles, blogs, brochures, and reports among others.
- Review and correct grammar and spelling mistakes
- Review and revise formatting of documents, where required
- Standardized formatting of the tables, where required
- Review and revise table of contents / list of acronyms / tables, where required
Academic qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience and competencies required:
- First degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, Literature, English
- Eight years experience as a writer/editor of high quality international standard
- Demonstrated ability to write/edit in a minimum time without losing the essentials of meaning and objectives of the materials
- Previous experience of writing about international development and humanitarian issues (work experience with UNICEF or the UN an advantage)
- Computer literate
- Demonstration of ability to work in a remote location with limited/ online supervision and meet deadlines Awareness and/or experience with UNICEF’s humanitarian principles
- Awareness and/or experience with UNICEF’s activities in Nigeria
- Experience working in a development / humanitarian environment desirable
- Fluency in English; fluency in another Nigerian language an advantage
How To Apply