Internship International Organization for Migration (IOM): National Programme Officer (Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Information Management) Recruitment
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Job : National Programme Officer (Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Information Management)
Job Status: One Year Fixed Term with possibility of extension
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
SVN No.: SVN2019/68
Working under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Manager (Immigration and Border Management (IBM), and with the technical support from the IBM Senior Regional Thematic Specialist in Dakar, Senegal and from the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division at IOM Headquarters (HQs) in Geneva, the successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating the implementation of IOM Nigeria’s IBM projects, including deployment of IOM’s MIDAS (Migration Information and Data Analysis System) to Nigeria’s air, land and sea borders, and key administrative units:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Support the Senior Programme Manager to monitor the administrative and operational activities of technical component of approved IBM programmes, which may include border data system integration, travel and identity documents, biometrics and training.
- Provide technical backstopping to IBM projects that focus on Border Management Information System (BMIS) deployment, Migration Information and Data Analysis System (MIDAS) deployment, including installations, training and monitoring project staff applying quality control to all aspects of the various projects’ implementation, and preparing regular implementation, progress, budgetary expenditure, donor and other required reports in accordance with the Organization’s procedures and regulations.
- Participate in the review of national project proposals for submission to specific donors in utilizing and advancing Border Management Information Systems in Nigeria towards building a border data system architecture that operates on real time data exchange.
- Develop IT assessment tools and participate in technical assessment and installation of BMIS in both urban and rural areas of Nigeria as well as in the development of the technical components of projects activity report.
- In coordination with IBM Senior Programme Manager, guide the unit in the provision of technical support to the implementation of all technical component of IBM project activities related to BMIS, Travel Documents and Identity Management.
- Exchange information and develop schedules, arrangements and methods required for project formulation, implementation management, and thematic training and workshops for government authorities, implementing partners, project staff and donors as required.
- Participate in conferences, seminars, workshops and meetings related to the thematic area of expertise, organize and conduct briefings particularly in connection with project development and maximizing project performance levels.
- Support the Sr. Programme Manager in liaising with project partners and donors.
- Recommend resource mobilization and utilization options for specific IBM projects.
- In coordination with the Senior Programme Manager, identify new project opportunities and support the preparation of project proposals.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Information Technology from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree or its equivalent in the above fields with two (2) years of relevant professional experience.
- Studies in the National Border Management of country of residence may be considered an added advantage.
- Technical training in relevant areas of data system development, synchronization and management including organizational capacity building and trainings in such areas.
- Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience.
- Background in border management, including border management technologies and in particular MIDAS, with ancillary background in travel and identity documents, biometric applications in border management, and related areas.
- Experience in delivering Immigration and Border Management -related trainings/workshops to Government officials desirable.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs.
- Extensive work experience with Government or an International Organization in the thematic areas
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge local languages advantageous;
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their Applications via email to: [email protected] indicating position applied on subject line
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line CFCV2019.73 Lagos. INTERN (Project Assistant-Data Management)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.