Full-time Knowledge Transfer Manager at East-West Seed
East- West Seed was established in the Philippines in 1982 by Simon Groot, a Dutch agriculturist who saw the need for seeds that were adapted to local conditions in Asia. At the time, the vegetable seed industry in Southeast Asia was little more than a seed trading system. No one was doing vegetable plant breeding, which involves years of trials, selection, crossing and investment.
The Job : Knowledge Transfer Manager
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Overall Purpose of the Job
- The Knowledge Transfer Manager will provide strategic direction and support all pre-commercial project activities under the direction of EWS Knowledge Transfer and in close cooperation with project partners.
- You will ensure that all KT activities align to group objectives; to increase the profitability and sustainability of vegetable production with smallholder farmers in areas where the company has long-term ambition to grow new (or strengthen undeveloped) markets.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Development of Knowledge Transfer projects:
- Work closely with Knowledge Transfer Support (KTS) to identify project opportunities
- Support with the development of concept notes and project proposals; liaising with partners and cooperating closely with KTS in the design and scope of activities
- Ensure development of projects is aligned towards KT objectives (1) to increase the profitability and sustainability of vegetable production with smallholder farmers (2) in areas where the company has long-term ambition to grow new (or strengthen undeveloped) markets.
Management of knowledge transfer activities:
- Provide leadership, coaching and strategic direction to a team of Technical Field Officers
- Enable delivery of appropriate technical solutions to farmers (methodology and content) through identifying needs of team
- Regular visit to project areas to maintain an overview of all project activities
- Ensure operations adhere to EWS and partner policies and regulations
- Report to management and partners as required
- Long term thinking to anticipate challenges and discuss with management team and KTS to identify potential solutions
- Foster constructive working relationship and closely coordinate activities with NGO partners
- Steer KT activities according to project agreements to ensure agreed targets and objectives are met
- Participate and network in workshops, meetings and trainings which help increase impact and outreach of knowledge transfer activities
- Act as main point of contact for any matters related to pre-commercial knowledge transfer
- Pro-actively promote the impact of EWS-KT with relevant stakeholders in govt, NGOs and private sector and advocate vegetable production as income opportunity
- Foster relationships with national and international organisations to promote vegetable production as a valuable source of income for small scale farmers.
- Support ways to promote EWS-KT activities in different media (in close cooperation with group communication)
Monitoring and evaluation:
- Support team to effectively use KT monitoring tools to provide accurate and up to date information on progress and impact of project activities
- Make regular use of data to analyse progress and steer projects accordingly
- Monitor and track project progress and handle any issues that arise
- Support preparation of presentations, workshops and trainings
- Maintain close contact and cooperation with KTS team and other KT managers to ensure benefits of sharing experience and information
- Foster team spirit; with EWNG-KT being an active part of EWS-KT through participation in forums such as Google Plus, trainings, workshops and other group organized events.
- Maintain good communication with commercial team; ensuring KT participation in integrated events and relevant trainings organized by the company
- The Knowledge Transfer Manager will report to the EWS-KT director on overall management of the extension activities and coordinate closely with the KTS team.
- You will liaise closely with the Business Development Manager of EWS in Nigeria on administrative and HR issues and coordinate with the Marketing & Sales to ensure that activities are aligned towards the company’s long-term future commercial interest.
Are we looking for you?
- M.Sc in Agriculture or a relevant field
- Proven experience as a Program Manager or any area related agricultural extension, Agronomist at least 5 years
- Thorough understanding of project/program management techniques and methods
- Track record in training trainers and farmers
- International work experience an advantage
- Proven experiences working with NGOs, donors and government
- Solid leadership and organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking
- Independent thinking, practically oriented
- Good understanding of vegetable production and markets in the Nigeria
How To Apply