Full-time National Construction Engineers at the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
The Job : National Construction Engineers
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job Number: 513269
Locations: Adamawa, Bauchi and Kebbi
Work Type: Consultancy
UNICEF has been working with other partners to support the State Primary Health Care Development Agencies (SPHCDAs) and the State Ministries of Health (SMOH) in the actualization of the vision of the Federal Government towards revitalizing primary healthcare and improving the quality of integrated MNCH services through support to the implementation of the ward minimum health care package in at least 1 Primary Health Care (PHC) center per ward in most of the wards in Kebbi, Bauchi and Adamawa.
The National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) has defined a set of minimum standards that must be met in order to ensure effective and efficient service delivery at the health care facility level. Adherence to a set of minimum standards for Primary Health Care (PHC) system is fundamental to the effective functioning of any health facility and is an essential element for the delivery of quality health care.
In line with the above, UNICEF will work with the 3 state governments to provide technical oversight in the renovation work to be carried out and implement a quality assurance mechanism, supervise the renovation works while ensuring timely delivery of facility upgrade.
- The consultants are to work with the SPHCDA, SMOH, Other Governmental Entities, Section Staff and Construction Specialist and to achieve the following key results:
- The health facilities in the scope of the project meeting minimum standard for infrastructure significantly increased in Adamawa, Bauchi and Kebbi States.
- Frequently visit the project active sites and report the progress and control indices.
- Control the project contracting and consultation companies and provide relevant guidance to assure smooth project progress.
- Major Tasks to be accomplished: (estimated time required to complete tasks. Attach additional sheets, if necessary, to describe assignments).
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
- Support the Construction Engineer to review of the contracts of the contracting and consulting companies and get familiar with the terms for relevant locations to control the contracts for the project duration.
- Undertake frequent and periodical site visits to monitor progress of work, and to provide technical input.
- Keep record of each site activities, dates, hold points, and milestones.
- Compile progress reports including the cost controlling, scheduling, risks and management aspects.
- Support in preparation of project estimates and forecasting for completion in cost, duration and variations.
- Work with Contractors to ensure project compliance to scope and budget and report any deviations.
- Attend any required meetings with the project stakeholders in the state.
- Provide periodic updates on progress of renovation exercise
- Get involved in any evaluation mission requested by the organization in the relevant field.
- Bi-weekly Progress Report for all the locations in the relevant state.
- Certification of work done before each payment.
- Final Report of the consultancy.
Academic Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience and Competencies Required
- In-depth knowledge of buildings and engineering, renovation and constructions projects, excellent knowledge of project cost control activities, structural design and computer-aided design and drafting programs, proven ability to supervise contractors, consultants and control contracts, excellent reporting skills, demonstrates professional competency and mastery of subject matter.
- Flexibility & Teamwork: Shows flexibility in moving between project locations, altering schedule to the benefit of the work progress, works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the project goals, is willing to learn from others, places team agenda before personal agenda, supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team short-comings, demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
- A first-level university degree in engineering or related fields from a reputable university.
- ARCON or COREN registration certification/membership.
- One to three years of progressively responsible experience in managing construction and renovation projects. Experience in procurement and supply processes is an asset. Good user of Autocad or equivalent system.
- Fluency in English Language. Knowledge of language of duty station would be an added advantage.
Official Travel involved:
- Flexibility to travel between project locations including between project activities states and to the FCT.
- All official travel must be based on an approved Travel Authorization, Security Clearance and in a MOSS compliant vehicle.
- All travels must be in accordance with the monthly travel plan agreed and pre-approved by Supervisor.
Estimated time of consultancy and deadline for submission of end product: 11.5Months
How To Apply