Full-time National Humanitarian Affairs Officer (NHAO) at the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
UNOCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
The Job : Procurement Manager/Head Buyer
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job ID: 22678
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – Monitorin/Reporting/Partnerships
Languages: English, Hausa
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- OCHA’s mission is to mobilize and coordinate effective and principled humanitarian action in partnership with national and international actors in order to:
- Alleviate human suffering in disasters and emergencies
- Advocate for the rights of people in need
- Promote preparedness and prevention
- Facilitate sustainable solutions.
In December 1991, the General Assembly adopted Resolution 46/182 designed to strengthen the United Nation’s response to both complex emergencies and natural disasters. In addition, it aimed at improving the overall effectiveness of the UN’s humanitarian operations in the field.
- OCHA has established a Country-based Pooled Fund (the Nigeria Humanitarian Fund) in Nigeria in 2017 and is recruiting staff necessary for the Humanitarian Financing Unit which will act, within OCHA, as the CBPF’s Secretariat. Given the potential for natural disaster and ongoing conflict in the north-east, it is of utmost importance that current staffing gaps are filled in order to support CBPF funding requirements to humanitarian operators in-country. Expectations by stakeholders of the CBPF in terms of timelines and institutional capacity are high.
- The NHAO is expected to help strengthen OCHA’s humanitarian financing, programmatic and reporting quality and follow-up, and to support the HFU’s management. Main duties will include supporting the correct running of the Grant Management System-based allocation and reporting timelines, sensitization, awareness-raising and capacity development of NNGOs in the CBPFs work, conducting monitoring activities, as well as other functions as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall guidance of the OCHA Head of Office and under the direct supervision of the Head of the HFU, the incumbent will be expected to be able to perform the following, prioritized according to operational requirements:
Summary of key functions:
- Monitoring & Reporting
- Support of Partnerships with local/national NGOs
Monitoring & Reporting:
- Prepare and participate in conducting regular field visits to project sites to monitor implementation of CBPF-funded projects, ensuring that implementation is in line with the project proposal and the grant agreement;
- Participate in the conduct of remote call monitoring campaigns for CBPF funded projects as required;
- Prepare field monitoring reports and recommendations to partners following visits to partners, ensuring timely communication of concerns about status of projects to the M&R focal point and Head of the HFU;
- Ensures findings and results of monitoring visits are shared with appropriate stakeholders and partners in a timely manner;
- Follow up with partners to ensure timely submission of narrative and financial reports pertaining to CBPF-funded projects;
- Track, collect and review narrative and financial reports from CBPF partners to ensure accuracy and compliance with CBPF guidelines and provides feedback to partner and HFU senior management as necessary;
- Keep performance management section updated in the Grants Management System;
- Provide support and information to the contracted entities in charge of monitoring of NGOs as necessary.
Support of Partnerships with local/national NGOs:
- Proactively map out potential partners and create linkages to the CBPF, especially focusing on local and national NGOs;
- Conduct presentations and consultations with partners and potential applicants and other members of the humanitarian community in order to clarify and raise awareness for the CBPF’s goals and objectives and eligibility procedures;
- Participate in the review of documents submitted under the Due Diligence process by organizations and in drafting reports on the partner’s capacity, following up with the partner on additional documents or information required and responding to queries as necessary;
- Provide support and information to the contracted entities in charge of the Capacity Assessment process of NGOs as necessary;
- Ensure the partners’ database and information records are kept up to date.
- Attend cluster and other humanitarian coordination fora as required in order to support CBPF awareness-raising on local/national NGOs;
- Support the preparation and delivery of trainings and workshops related to the CBPF’s goals and objectives, grant management and eligibility procedures, monitoring and reporting, development of proposal log frame and budgets etc.;
- Support the review and revision process of project proposals advise NGOs on recommended revisions, assisting partners in revision drafting if required;
- Support the preparation of documentation related to Humanitarian Coordinator project approval and disbursement actions (Fund Transfer Requests, agreements, MoU, etc.);
- Support preparation and execution of transfer agreements to be signed by NGO and HC, following up on requests to the HFU to arrange for fund transfers to partners;
- Communicate concerns about proposals, project documents, or implementing partners to the focal point for M&R and the Head of the HFU;
- Contribute ideas and innovative practices for funding support and strategies;
- Support the compilation of CBPF Annual Reports and other progress, or ad-hoc reports.
- Update and maintain data on the Grant Management System (GMS).
- Act as interpreter/translator in English, Hausa and Kanori, as required.
- Prepare documentation and reports for country-level coordination forums.
- Provide logistical and secretarial support to the Humanitarian Financing Unit.
- Support preparation of briefing packs and venue booking as required.
- Maintain correct, updated partner contact list at all times.
- Perform other duties as required.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- Head of HFU
- M&R focal point
- National and International HAOs
- Local/National NGOs
- United Nations Agencies, Funds and Programs
- Proven analytical skills: ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, and recommend appropriate solutions. Ability to relate humanitarian affairs issues and perspectives, including gender issues, to political economic, social and human rights programs. Strong negotiation skills: ability to lead and gain assistance of others in a team endeavor, and to articulate coherent arguments to reach agreement.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. armed conflict, civil strife, natural disasters and human misery).
- Very good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian affairs and sound knowledge of the institutions of the UN system.
Judgment and Decision-making:
- Apply sound judgment to resolve a range of issues/problems. Will abide by security guidelines.
Planning and Organizing:
- Proven ability to plan and organize, establish priorities, manage and monitor work plans, coordinate competing demands, and work to tight deadlines.
- Solid computer skills, including proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet applications, and relevant software packages, including e-mail.
- Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively, including ability to prepare reports and conduct presentations, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum information, making and defending recommendations.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Required Skills and Experience
- Budget preparing
- Strong Presentation skills
- Reporting skills
- Writing skills.
How To Apply