Full-time National Immunization Logistics Officer at World Health Organization (WHO)
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
The Job : National Immunization Logistics Officer
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job ID: 1806491
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract Duration: 12 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
- The purpose of this post is to provide technical support with regard to immunization, vaccines security and logistics activities, both routine and supplemental, within the WHO-Nigeria EPI Team.
- The Nigerian national authorities have intensified efforts to interrupt wild poliovirus transmission within the shortest time possible.
- The post holder will support the national authorities to achieve goal of interruption of wild poliovirus transmission as well as attain other national and regional goals in line with the 2022 Regional IVD targets.
- The post holder will support the strengthening of polio eradication/immunization activities in a manner that would complement ongoing efforts to revitalize and strengthen Primary Health Care within the recently developed framework for National Strategy for Immunization and PHC System Strengthening (NSIPSS), 2018-2028
- The objective of the EPI programme is to support national authorities to provide high quality immunization services that will contribute to: (a) the reduction of mortality, morbidity and disability from vaccine preventable diseases through the optimum use of available and new vaccines and technologies (b) the strengthening of national health systems as well as efforts to achieve the Universal Health Coverage (UHC) and health related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Description of Duties
- Under the overall supervision of the WHO Country Representative, the Officer will provide technical support to WHO EPI Staff based at central, zonal as well as state level in Nigeria. This position reports to the EPI Team Leader, and liaises with other EPI sub-units including Immunization, Monitoring & Evaluation, Surveillance, EPI Operations and EPI Program Management.
The specific functions of the incumbent are:
- To support national authorities and partners in strengthening and redesign of the immunization supply chain to improve bundled vaccine supply to service delivery points.
- To support national authorities to prepare, review and implement multi-year immunization as well as annual immunization plans.
- To support the development of a multiyear cold chain inventory replacement and rehabilitation plan using data from the cold chain inventory and assessments and also in line with Cold Chain Equipment and Optimization Platform (CCEOP).
- To support the country to develop and implement new vaccine introduction plans and monitor the implementation of the plans.
- To support in the identification and monitoring of bundled vaccine requirements for each round of immunization campaigns and deployment of adequate quantities from the national level down to the state level.
- To conduct operational research to improve the quality of immunization supply chain, service delivery and quality of polio SIAs.
- To support the development and production of data management and monitoring tools for polio and non-polio SIAs
- To support the development of cold chain, logistics and waste management plans for the campaigns
- To support the implementation of GAVI HSS/PSR plans and implementation as it relates to immunization supply chain and logistics
- To support in receipt, storage and distribution of emergency supplies and outbreak response activities
- To undertake capacity building activities in support of immunization operations (service delivery, vaccine supply and quality, logistics), immunization safety and introduction of new and under-utilized vaccines
- To support activities aimed at strengthening partnership, advocacy as well as resource mobilization in support of improving performance of immunization activities.
- Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative
- Producing results;
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organisation and beyond
- Promoting WHO’s position in health leadership
- Essential: Degree in Biomedical Sciences, Pharmacy, Biochemistry, Nursing, Medicine and Other Health related Sciences with additional training and/or certification in immunization, epidemiology, supply chain and logistics.
- Desirable:Post graduate degree in Biomedical sciences, Public health, Epidemiology, supply chain
- At least 5 years’ experience in Immunization systems, service delivery, vaccine security and logistics at both national and subnational level.
- Experience in vaccines forecasting, quantification, supply and distribution, management and storage especially in disease outbreaks and emergencies.
- Experience in cold chain inventory and system assessment.
- Experience in handling immunization logistics data as well as analysis for making informed decisions.
- Excellent knowledge of English. Working knowledge of French language would be an asset.
- Strong analytical skills and high level technical proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, with ability to use these tools to collect and analyze immunization program data.
- Good business-oriented verbal, visual and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office with the use of IT facilities for information-sharing and/or database management.
How To Apply