Full-time Operations Control Specialist at Marriott International
Marriott International is a leading global Lodging company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with more than 4,100 properties in 79 countries and reported revenues of nearly $14 billion in fiscal year 2014. Its heritage can be traced to a root beer stand opened in Washington, D.C., in 1927 by J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott.
The Job : Operations Control Specialist
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job Number: 19001JPU
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Brand: Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Position Type: Management
Start Your Journey With Us
- At Sheraton, we go above and beyond in everything we do. We are inspired by our guests and one another – and are driven to make things better. We love what we do, and we give it all we’ve got – on property and off. When guests stay with us, it’s not just a room with a bed that they’re buying. It’s an experience.
- We’re looking for someone who is ready to go beyond in everything they do. If you are someone with a genuine drive to improve your life and the lives of those around you, we encourage you to explore careers with Sheraton.
- Responsible to establish and maintain the controls environment for the Shared Service Center and properties finance activities.
Core Work Activities
Managing Work, Projects, and Policies:
- Interact with Area Direct of Finance Nigeria, GM & HOD’s to achieve control environment goals
- Provide and lead training of SOP’s
- Verify and complete on property audits –
- Complete monthly, quarterly & annual audit related functions
- Review Daily Executive Pack
- Assist Area Direct of Finance Nigeria during External Audit Period
- Support ISRA auditors for his/her development
- Act as buddy to DOFs for property audits
- Assist with or lead investigations on property
- Act as support to DOFs in cluster as needed e.g. cover for sickness/maternity leave
- Responsible for on-property internal controls activities
- Uphold the policies and procedures outlined in the audit standards
Maintaining Finance and Accounting Goals:
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Submits reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
- Ensures reports and audits are documented accurately.
- Maintains a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets.
- Provide direction and assistance to other organizational units regarding controls and policies and procedures.
- Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, compliance target, team goals, etc.
Demonstrating and Applying Accounting Knowledge:
- Demonstrates knowledge of job-relevant issues, products, systems, and processes.
- Demonstrates knowledge of company’s internal controls and procedures
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Gross Revenue Report.
- Keeps up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
- Uses computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, develop financial spreadsheets, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
- Uses relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Supports the development, mentoring and training of employees.
- Provides constructive coaching and counseling to employees.
- Trains people on marriott’s policies and procedures
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Demonstrates personal integrity.
- Uses effective listening skills.
- Demonstrates self confidence, energy and enthusiasm.
- Manages group or interpersonal conflict effectively.
- Informs and/or updates the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
- Manages time well and possesses strong organizational skills.
- Presents ideas, expectations and information in a concise well organized way.
- Uses problem solving methodology for decision making and follow
- Makes collections calls if necessary
Education and Experience
- 4-year bachelor’s degree in Finance and Accounting
- Minimum 5 years experience in a leadership position within Accounting or Finance or related professional area
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft accounting and Opera PMS will be advantageous
- Excellent team leadership skills are required
- Ability to work under pressure and deadline-driven
- Knowledge of Microsoft packages
- Knowledge of Marriott finance policies will be advantageous.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to travel within Sub Sahara Africa
- Building and Contributing to Teams – Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results – Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing – Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships – Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships – Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset – Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability:
- Organizational Capability – Evaluates and adapts the structure of team assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management – Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise:
- Applied Learning – Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen – Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen – Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges:
- Economics and Accounting – Knowledge of P&L statements, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling, and the reporting of financial data.
- Auditing and Reconciliation – The ability to recognize, research, and resolve discrepancies in financial data, and create flow charts on main accounting and control cycles (A/R, AP, Cash) to facilitate understanding of key control points.
- General Finance and Accounting – The ability to perform bookkeeping procedures, proficiently use financial systems technology, and accurately complete general ledger entries; knowledge of database structures in order to obtain financial queries; establish Cash flow statements and cash flow forecast with a good understanding the financials flows and the working capital needs.
- Analysis – The ability to create and maintain spreadsheets as well as analyze and summarize financial data using appropriate financial software.
- Accounting Knowledge – Knowledge of general accounting principles and current company accounting policies and procedures. This includes general accounting and financial reporting, auditing, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Accounting and Internal Control Knowledge – Knowledge of local Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (local GAAP), Marriott International Policies (MIP), and International Standard Operating Procedures (ISOPs).
- Legal – Ability to read and understand basic contract elements, e.g. royalty fees, management agreement, terms, priorities and profit distribution.
- Auditing Skills – The ability to perform auditing procedures, including the ability to recognize, research, and resolve discrepancies in financial data.
- Payroll Systems – Knowledge of local payroll reporting and tax requirements, ability to effectively record wages/tax liabilities, and operate payroll software applications, including understanding the features and functions of the applications.
- Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable – Knowledge of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable processes, including knowledge of subledger reconciliation and controls.
- Basic Competencies – Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities:
- Basic Computer Skills – Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning – Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension – Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension – Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Writing – Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
How To Apply