Full-time Programme Officers at the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
The Job : TA HACT Programme Officer, NOA
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job Number: 511087
Locations: Maiduguri – Borno and Bauchi
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
The incumbent will, under the supervision of the Programme Specialist-HACT and in close cooperation with the HACT and M4R team, perform the following functions:
- Support to HACT planning during the programming process
- Support to implementation of HACT activities
- Support to review and monitor performance of HACT activities indicators
- Review of HACT reports to ensure quality and use of HACT reports
- Networking and inter-agency partnership
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
Summary of Key Functions/Accountabilities
Support to HACT planning during the programming process:
- Participate in discussions, collection, analysis, verification and synthesis of HACT related information/documentation to gain good knowledge of HACT and programme planning and implementation
- Participate in the preparation of HACT related materials/documentation to ensure incorporation of HACT in the country programming process.
Support to implementation of HACT activities:
- Serve as reference person on HACT implementation in the office assigned to you.
- Participate in and assist with the preparation and regular updating of CO micro assessment and assurance plans.
- Together with the HACT team colleagues, undertake spot checks of implementing partners to gain knowledge and experience.
- Provide technical and administrative support to external service providers in the execution of HACT activities to ensure timely and efficient delivery of results.
- Assist with maintenance of records of relevant HACT related documentation and uploading the same on SharePoint in a timely manner for use by programme staff
- Conduct simplified checklist assessments for implementing partners receiving less than $100,000 per/year
Support to review and monitor performance of HACT activities indicators:
- Identify IPs that are ready for spot check and ensure Spot checks are conducted as per the HACT plan
- Identify the number of programme monitoring visits for each IP as per the HACT guidelines & share with programme Chiefs/CFOs
- Updated the HACT plan with conducted spot checks and programme monitoring visits monthly and share summaries of indicators with the Programme Specialist HACT
- Ensure the spot check tracker is updated monthly and shared with CFO/programme staff for follow up actions
- Monitor whether activities are taking place as per the assurance plan and undertake analysis of issues on the trackers that require management attention.
- Assist programme sections to determine appropriate follow-up actions to issues and recommendations identified in spot checks and scheduled audit.
- Ensure all HACT assurance activities indicators are updated on Insight on a quarterly basis
Review of HACT reports to ensure quality and use of HACT reports:
- Assist with recording and update of risk ratings of implementing partners in VISION through regular review of the Vendor Master and provision of information to relevant colleagues in the field office.
- Share with Heads of relevant programme sections related HACT reports, especially reports of assurance activities, to ensure adequate awareness and follow-up and implementation of recommendations.
- Participate in the review of micro assessment, spot check and audit reports of implementing partners to ensure quality of reports from consultants and auditors.
- Participate in the review of micro assessment, spot check and audit reports of implementing partners to identify issues that need follow-up and common weaknesses in financial and procurement management and propose capacity development actions that can be supported by UNICEF.
- Ensure that the HACT reports have been dispatched to the implementing partners in a timely manner by following up with the programme sections
Networking And Inter-agency Partnership:
- Exchange information and/or operational support to implementing partners, UN system partners and other stakeholders in the CO on the implementation of HACT to reinforce UN/CO harmonization and coordination
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of HACT information and knowledge to facilitate/build their capacity for implementing HACT
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency meetings/events to facilitate and promote sharing of information, knowledge, experiences and best practice and enhance coordination of activities in line with the UNICEF HACT Procedure.
- Interact regularly with other field offices and the Country office on HACT.
Knowledge Management and Capacity Building:
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned from HACT and its implementation for integration into broader knowledge development planning and management efforts.
- Participate in the design, planning and implementation of capacity development strategies/initiatives for implementing partners which can be supported by UNICEF through participation in review of reports of micro assessments and assurance activities of significant and high risk partners.
- Participate in the design and implementation of capacity development strategies/initiatives for FO staff to ensure that staff has knowledge and skills to fulfill their responsibilities related to HACT.
- Participate in the HACT training for implementing partners in the field office and other FOs as may be required
Impact of Results:
- The effective support provided by the Programme Officer (HACT) to the careful planning and effective implementation of the assurance activities directly impact on programme execution and delivery of sustainable results that also promote national ownership and accountability for responsible financial management of programme resources.
Qualification, Experience and Competencies Required
- A University Degree in Development Studies, International Development, Business Administration, Financial Management, Economics, Auditing, Project/Programme Management or other relevant field is required.
- A minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in financial planning and management, quality assurance, audit, programme/project development and management or and related areas at the national levels
- Previous experience on HACT is an added advantage.
- Diversity and inclusion
- Working with people
- Drive for results
- Formulating strategies and concepts
- Applying technical expertise
- Learning and researching
- Planning and organizing
- Fluency in English (both written and spoken) is a must
- Knowledge of the local language of the field office is an asset
How To Apply