Full-time Research Associate at International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries.
The Job : Research Associate
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Contract: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist cowpea breeder in planning and implementing laboratory, screen house and field experiments;
- Supervise field research activities across all agro-ecologies relevant to cowpea production, breeding operations including field preparation and layout, fertilizer application, planting, weed and pest controls, data collection and harvesting;
- Visit all testing sites as required for effective supervision of trial and nursery management;
- Plan and ensure procurement of inputs for laboratory, screen house and field trials for all testing sites, hire and pay casual labor for various field operations;
- Supervise handling of germplasm in the breeding nurseries including planting, hand-pollinations ad data collection;
- Assist scientists in keeeping pedigree records of breeding materials in various nurseries;
- Supervise seed multiplication of advanced lines, released varieties and candiates lines for release;
- Supervise junior staff, universities, polytechnic and college of agriculture students on Students Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES), NYSC members and assist in appraising their performances at the end of the year;
- Assist in collating data, running statistical analysis, conduct literature search and prepare reports;
- Assist graduate students on their research projects as required;
- Assist scients to maintain strict control of budget expenditures and casual labor employment;
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
- M.Sc in Agronomy, Plant Breeding, Crop Production or related discipline with minimum of five (5) years’ experience performing similar functions or related roles in a structured organization.
The ideal candidate must:
- Possess good computer skills in MS-Office and strong knowledge in experimental design and statistical analysis;
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills in English (working knowledge of French considered as an advantage).
- Be well organized, able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, follow protocols/instructions, troubleshoot and train subordinates.
- Be experienced in working with farmers and extension agents would be considered as an advantage.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How To Apply