Research Supervisor (Aeroponics System) at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
The Job : Research Supervisor (Aeroponics System)
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Ibadan, Oyo.
Contract: 1-year renewable contract
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assit in day to day management of the aeroponics system (AS) located at IITA-Ibadan;
- Check every morning the feeding of the plants through running of the nutrient solution of the aeroponics systemand assuring the flow of the solution back to the nutrient tank;
- Ensure planting and harvesting when needed of the AS tables and boxes with clean and healthy hardening tissue culture materials or appropriate seedlimgs of TemporarynImmersion Bioreactor System;
- Assist in the maintenance of clean and aseptic environment in the AS screenhouse, powerhouse and report promptly any infestation or development of disease symptoms like virus, fungal or bacterial;
- Use tablet to collect weather data at least (temprature, relative humidity, light intensity) two to three times daily in the AS screenhouse and in the powerhouse the nutrient temprature, the potential of hydrogen (pH), the electric conductivity (EC) the total dissolved solids (TDS);
- Submission of monthly report of data collected to supervisor and database analyst on the details of planting of plantlets in AS and harvsting of planting materials from tablets and boxes including genotype, quantity, age, cycle number, disease status;
- Report immediately malfunctioning of equipment or materials in use or at your care for the AS facilities;
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor.
- HND/B.Sc in Agriculture, Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry or related courses with at least two (2) years’ relevant experience performing similar role.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Good knowledge of research data reporting.
- Be ready to work in a team and have a good sense of interpersonal relationship.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.