Full-time Save the Children Nigeria: Community Mobilization Officer Recruitment
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
The Job : Community Mobilization Officer
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Yobe, Nigeria
Job ID: 190000XL
- Support the State team to ensure commitment and involvement of local authorities and community members in the programme; and support community mobilization to ensure participation, sustainability of the Humanitarian programme as well as that the voices of community members, including women and children are heard.
Key Areas of Accountability
Objective 1: Strategy Development:
- Identify policy and practice change, on the basis of Save the Children’s experience, that would promote and protect the rights of children.
- Support in formulating key advocacy messages and targets from lessons learned, assessments, research and evidence gained through project implementation on WASH, child Protection, Food security et al
- Ensure that voices of children form the basis of Save the Children’s advocacy strategy.
- Acquire information and understanding of social policy and adapt strategies as necessary.
- Maintain a strategic overview of issues affecting child Nutrition, monitoring trends in the external environment and inputting to organisational strategy and planning processes.
- Ensure Save the Children visibility is seen in the state
- Actively participate in all Save the Children and CSO Coalition driven activities in the state
- Establish as well as sustain existing synergy among coalition
- Engage with the state and local governments in policies review when needed
- Facilitate meetings of the coalition groups
- Prepare monthly reports of activities carried out
- Support any other Save the Children-led activities as may be required
- In collaboration with Field Coordinaotor, represent Save the Children with local authorities at the LGA level: Local Government Authorities, Religious and traditional leaders
Objective 2: Influencing:
- Develop good knowledge of local and national government structures, parliamentary and political processes and key decision making structures and how to influence them.
- Initiate and support lobbying, communications and other activities to inform and persuade policy makers, including donors and politicians, of the value of Save the Children’s policy recommendations.
- Support in building systems for research, analysis and documentation that underpin evidence based advocacy and influencing at state and national levels.
- Develop a feedback mechanism for communicating Save the Children programmes
- Produce reports, briefing papers and presentations for internal and external audiences, as directed.
Objective 3: Collaboration & Representation:
- Develop and sustain strategic relationships with other agencies engaged in advocacy and policy work.
- Support in maintaining a network of external contacts with key individuals in the government, NGO sector, civil society and the media.
- Support in facilitating capacity building of staff from Save the Children and partner agencies in advocacy and communications.
- Represent Save the Children at various policy forums and advocacy opportunities at state and LGA levels, as directed.
- As a spokesperson for Save the Children to a variety of external audiences including policy makers and the media, as directed.
Objective 4: Programme Development:
- Provide technical support on voice and community mobilization to State programme team
- Develop a community mobilisation strategy in collaboration with the team and ensure implementation
- Train and mentor Local consultants – Community support
- In collaboration with the rest of the programme team prepare and facilitate trainings
- Participate in the preparation or review of programme monitoring and evaluation tools where necessary
- Ensure correct use of programme monitoring and evaluation (recording) tools, including analysis
Qualifications and Experience
- Level of Education – First Degree B.Sc/BA/HND in Communication, Journalism, Social Work, Psychology, Health or Social Science field
- Minimum of 2 years post NYSC relevant experience in community Mobilization/campaign and BCC programming
- Substantial experience in advocacy and policy development / research in the development context.
- Good understanding of the possibilities and tactics for influencing decision and policy makers, politicians, donors, and other key actors.
- Knowledge of the media and its role in raising awareness and shaping public policy.
- Good understanding of strategies for achieving child protection, Psychosocial programming policies through participatory processes, and the links with gender, diversity and other aspects of identity.
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills and demonstrable ability to think strategically, innovatively and practically to ensure achievement of desired change objectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences at local, state and national levels.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with partner agencies and key contacts in the government, NGO, civil society (coalitions) and media sectors.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, adaptability and ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Good computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, email / internet) and ability to be self-supporting in most administrative tasks.
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal).
- Local language skills especially Hausa & Kanuri
- Commitment to the values, mission, aims and policies of Save the Children.
- Experience in training others in advocacy techniques and influencing tactics.
- Prior work experience in advocacy in Nigeria.
- Experience working on Humanitarian programming.
- Local language skills (Hausa).
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High Level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Zeal to work with Children
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds And maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
19th April, 2019.
How To Apply