Full-time Street Child: Finance Assistant Recruitment
Street Child is a UK charity working to protect vulnerable children and improve access to education in some of the poorest communities in the world. We work in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nepal and in the last few months Street Child has been involved in the Humanitarian response for Nigeria as well as, being partner of the Education in Emergency Working Group.
The Job : Finance Assistant
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Maiduguri, with travels through Borno, Adamawa and Yobe
Report to: Finance Manager
Specification: Nigerian Nationals Only
Starting from: 01 December 2018
Duration: 5 months
- Street Child is looking for a dedicated finance assistant for our office in Maiduguri. Our programmes include emergency education interventions integrated with Child Protection and Livelihood to support children and their family living in a safe and dignified condition. Street Child works in partnership with local organisations and is currently implementing in 11 LGAs across Borno Adamawa and Yobe.
- Responsible for the day-to-day general financial and administration of the organisation including expenses and payroll, assisting the Finance Manager, the Finance Officer and the Admin and Logistic Officer
Financial reporting and auditing:
- To process and oversee the work of financial transactions, accounts payable, accounts receivables, vouchers, etc., by thoroughly checking and correcting the accounting and other relevant financial records
- To provide support in preparing the financial reports in the accounting and finance system as per the instructions received from the Finance Manager
- To maintain, update, and retrieve the financial information from the financial database and system
- To assist in the preparation of receipts and vouchers and their relevant formats, so that the financial details can be entered correctly in the accounting system
- To apply the basic accounting principles, knowledge, and techniques to analyse the variances and perform routine accounting activities
- To perform accounting computations and calculations accurately, and try to identify if there are discrepancies, and if there are any errors, try to resolve them
Petty Cash and Banking:
- Track monthly office petty cash expenditure and prepare petty cash reconciliation statements for sign off by the Country Representative.
- Check and reconcile cash requests from Street Child staff and liaise with Project/Country Coordinator on outstanding administrative issues.
- Prepare and manage in a timely manner, payment orders for invoices to be paid by Street Child.
- Prepare office petty cash requests for sign off by the Country Coordinator.
- To provide general financial support as required for the office management and for the projects.
- To prepare correspondence regarding taxation, social and health insurance and union fees for executive review and signature.
- To give support for the procurement of equipment and supplies for the office ensuring strict adherence to Street Child procurement guidelines.
- To oversee the booking of flights and accommodation for Street Child staff as required.
- To prepare staff payslip and support monthly payroll.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- University degree in Finance and Accounting or other relevant disciplines.
- Experience working with an international NGO will be an advantage.
- At least 2 years’ work experience as a Finance Assistant, Finance Officer or similar role
- Good knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping procedures
- Advanced MS Excel skills (creating spreadsheets and using financial functions)
- Familiarity with accounting software (e.g. QuickBooks)
- Organizational and time-management skills
- Attention to detail, with an ability to spot numerical errors
- Fluency in English and Hausa (both oral and written).
How To Apply