Full-time Technical Laboratory Adviser at British High Commission (BHC)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
The Job : Technical Laboratory Adviser to NCDC Director General (National Reference Laboratory Management) (31/19 ABJ)
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Grade: D6 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 18 months
Type of Post: British High Commission
Start Date: 1 September 2019
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Global Issues Team
Main Purpose of Job
- Accountable to the Director General of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), this position’s primary responsibility is ensuring organisational effectiveness and efficiency by providing operational support to the management of the National Reference Laboratory (NRL) in Gaduwa, Abuja, as well as the Central Public Health Laboratory (CPHL) in Lagos.
- The core input from this role will be leadership support and effective operational management of NRL and CPHL, working alongside the laboratory Director.
Roles and Responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
The Technical Adviser to the NCDCDG (NRL Management) responsibilities will include:
- Support the further development and management of the NRL and CPHL, ensuring excellence in practice, service delivery and appropriate scientific and technical performance at all times.
- Support documentation of laboratory activities, especially the completion of the laboratory strategy and implementation plan
- Support the development of management processes such as supply chain monitoring plan for the laboratories
- Taking the responsibility for supporting the daily management of the scientific/technical staff to ensure the successful and effective operation of the laboratories.
- Providing theoretical and practical programme management input to ensure the overall output of the laboratory is of a high quality, appropriate, relevant, consistent and reliable
- Resolving complex and urgent problems within the laboratory and assisting/leading in resolving complicated problems involving other NCDC departments and wider service users.
- Support the budgetary control of laboratory services to ensure best use and management of financial resources.
- Support the development of policies and strategies that ensure effective and efficient day-to-day operational work
- Helping to ensure the laboratories have available to them the relevant equipment and space required to implement and deliver the strategies and policies supporting day-to -day operational work.
- Engaging widely with NCDC laboratory service users to seek input into setting strategic objectives and identifying new ideas and improved ways of working
- Working with others to define the strategy to ensure the laboratories maintain and develop as a centre of excellence in Public Health laboratory services in liaison with the senior management team
- Participating in the activities of relevant NCDC/Laboratory committees, working groups and other expert groups as required.
- Developing, implementing and promoting high standards of quality customer care to both internal and external customers
- Supporting the development and delivery of innovative services and alternative ways of working to ensure continuous improvements in service delivery
- Carrying out any other duties as may reasonably be required by the DG of NCDC.
- You will be required to provide laboratory or other cover in times of operational difficulty.
- The job description and person specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of the organization.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject.
- Member of relevant professional body
- Demonstrate commitment to own Continued Professional Development (CPD)
- Extensive experience of working in a diagnostic/testing laboratory
- In depth understanding of relevant laboratory policies, standards and guidelines, including those relevant to quality control/assurance and accreditation processes
- Leadership and management experience including target setting, selection,
- training and development
- Knowledge of the NCDC and the wider Nigerian public health sector and laboratory network
- Understanding of budget management
- Experience of partnership working – linking with staff across varied organisational functions to address inter-dependencies and ensure alignment
- Experience of working with Laboratory Information Management System
- Experience of working with information technology using Microsoft Office packages (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Additional qualification or relevant experience public health or other relevant field or equivalent experience. Good knowledge of laboratory management.
- Experience of participation in research and development projects
- Experience of leading change management
- Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Building Capability for All, Managing a Quality Service
Starting monthly salary: NGN 1,665,377.60
Other benefits and conditions of employment:
- Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
- Participate in all mandatory training as required
- Identify, discuss and action own professional performance and training / development needs with the CEO of NCDC through the appraisals process and/or attending internal / external training events
How To Apply
Public Health England (PHE) recently began working with Nigeria’s Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) to improve and strengthen International Health Regulations capability. A Senior Public Health Advisor for PHE is based in Abuja to support delivery of this objective. The post of Project Support Officer is being recruited to work closely with the Senior Public Health Advisor, to provide day-to-day logistical and administrative assistance.
Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
Note: Please take note that the duration of this contract is up to 31 March 2021