Full-time The Management Sciences for Health (MSH): Malaria Technical Advisor, Case Management – MTA-cm Recruitment
The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
The Job : Malaria Technical Advisor, Case Management – MTA-cm
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Akwa Ibom, Benue, Cross-River, Ebonyi, Nassarawa, Oyo, Plateau and Zamfara, Nigeria
Job ID: 13-10612
- PMI-S is a five-year PMI/USAID flagship malaria project implemented through a consortium led by MSH.
- The project is supporting the Government of Nigeria through its agencies at the federal, state, LGA and community levels to reduce under-five and maternal mortality by delivering quality services for management of malaria, its complications, and prevention.
- PMI-S project focuses on strengthening the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) for the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan 2014-2020.
- PMI-S will target eight states of Nigeria, namely: Akwa Ibom, Benue, Cross-River, Ebonyi, Nassarawa, Oyo, Plateau and Zamfara.
- The Malaria Technical Advisor for Case Management position will provide solid technical and programmatic direction and practice of malaria case management including laboratory diagnosis and treatment of uncomplicated and severe malaria, and IPTp at health facility and community service delivery points.
- The position will build networks with the supply chain, laboratory, SME and community and demand creation partner organizations and/or staff to ensure coherent delivery of high quality malaria services in the state and LGAs.
- Engage the State Malaria Elimination Program, SMOH, SPHCDA, and relevant partners to adopt/adapt the latest malaria case management policy guidelines and strategies in line with national and WHO guidelines.
- In collaboration with the Senior State Malaria Technical Advisor (SSMTA), provide malaria technical expertise in the development and monitoring of the state malaria annual work plan (AOP).
- Work with the SSMTA to build capacity of State Malaria Elimination Program (SMEP) and health providers at health facilities and in the community in provision of quality malaria case management services.
- Engage tutors at health training institutions in the state to mainstream training on the latest malaria policy and treatment guidelines in pre-service training programs.
- Develop and roll out a mentoring and supportive supervision program at all levels of the state health system as it relates to malaria case management.
- Provide TA to the SMEP and SMOH in the design and implementation of a QA system for malaria services at the state level including quality of diagnostic testing and linkage of positive cases to treatment for both severe and uncomplicated cases of malaria.
- Provide TA to the SMEP and SMOH on effective engagement of private sector health service providers in planning and implementation of state malaria case management interventions.
- Collaborate with other PMI-S state project team to support roll out of malaria policy guidelines, SOPs and Job aids to health workers working in public and private health facilities through continuous professional development (CPD).
- Contribute to writing project reports, documentation of good practices, and technical publications.
- Contribute to visibility of PMI for States Project work through innovative presentation of project approaches and results at state, federal and international levels.
Qualifications and Experience
- A first Degree in a Health field and a Master’s degree in Public Health, Public Administration, Management or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience in health program management in developing countries, three of which providing direct clinical services at health facilities; and at least 2 years’ experience providing TA to health facilities on treatment of malaria according to latest national/WHO treatment guidelines.
- Previous experience working with MAPS or SuNMaP1 will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated capacity to collaborate with State Health departments, SPHCDA, partners supporting SMOH, and LGAs to achieve results.
- Proven programmatic, technical and managerial expertise in providing TA to health workers to strengthen their management and/or leadership capacity, systems and processes, and sustainability potential.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Computer skills: Windows applications for word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Good verbal and written communication skills to manage project communications and disseminate project information are required.
- Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy, conflict management, team building, and interpersonal skills to ensure internal coherence among diverse team members and sub-partners, as well as external relations with the State Ministry of Health, civil society, private sector and other stakeholders.
How To Apply