Contract UN Women: Programme Officer, Legislation and Institutional Strengthening Recruitment
UN Women – In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women.
The Job : Programme Officer, Legislation and Institutional Strengthening
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SB-4
Duration of Initial Contract: 1 year
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- The Spotlight Initiative is a global partnership between the United Nations (UN) and the European Union (EU) to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls in support of the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development. It was launched in September 2017 by the UN Secretary-General and the EU High Representative and Vice President (HRVP). The 500 million Euro Initiative provides a model for partnerships with donors, civil society, and the UN to deliver on the SDGs in a comprehensive manner leveraging comparative expertise. SDG 5 and the achievement of gender equality are placed at the centre of efforts (alongside Goal 16) with the aim to provide an enabling environment for the implementation of all goals. Within the UN, the Initiative will operationalize the UN development system reforms and model a new way of delivering on the SDGs in an integrated way, leveraging collaborative advantages. Three Core Agencies: UNDP (the United Nations Development Programme, the United Nations Population (UNFPA) and UN Women) will work together with other UN agencies to make large-scale investments in priority countries.
- Reporting to Programme Specialist- Technical Coherence, Spotlight Initiative the Programme officer contributes to the effective engagements and delivery of the outcomes on legislation and institutional strengthening for the spotlight programmes. He or she also provides substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. He or she also ensures appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements, if necessary. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Contribute technically to the development and implementation of the Spotlight programme strategies and interventions for the component on effective legislative and institutional strengthening:
- Provide substantive inputs towards the development of the programme annual work plans, budgets and implementation strategies for the UN Women component on effective legislative and institutional strengthening;
- Identify and design advocacy and lobby opportunities and interventions for effective legislative and institutional strengthening and overall interest of the programme
- Provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of the Spotlight Initiative programme in the targeted states for effective legislative and institutional strengthening;
- Lead the delivery of the specific components on legislative and institutional strengthening to ensure domestication and implementation of laws and policies;
- Support the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners to ensure selection of partners to deliver on the effective legislative and institutional strengthening component of the project;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Support training of partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation;
- Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary, for the components on effective legislative and institutional strengthening;
Provide technical assistance and capacity development to programme stakeholders:
- Coordinate the delivery of technical support for the implementation of effective legislative and institutional strengthening components of the programme;
- Coordinate and lead technical workshops and webinars; facilitate workshop sessions for effective legislative and institutional strengthening;
- Facilitate learning and exchanging of experiences among programme stakeholders;
- Consolidate lessons learned and key outcomes of workshops and webinars;
- Analyze emerging needs and provide suggestions for technical follow up;
- Establish and nurture relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the Spotlight Initiative programme;
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners, as needed.
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme:
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results-based management tools;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results s, outputs and outcomes;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports.
Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies:
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on [Spotlight Initiative] to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country:
- Provide substantive technical support to the Programme Specialist Technical Coherence on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs.
Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts:
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to [Spotlight Initiative];
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on [Spotlight Initiative].
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality substantive inputs programme strategies and activities;
- Timely and quality substantive inputs to workplans and budgets;
- Adherence to UN Women standards and rules;
- Timely monitoring and tracking of programme results and finances;
- Relationship with partners and stakeholders;
- Timely organization of events;
- Quality of knowledge and advocacy products.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Strong understanding and experiences in legislative and institutional strengthening processes
- Good understanding of the legislative environment in Nigeria
- Good knowledge of technical of advocacy, lobbying, mobilization and citizen engagements
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
- Good analytical skills
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification:
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Human Rights, Gender/Women’s Studies, International Development, or a related field is required
- A first-level university Degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- Knowledge and experience in Legislative and institutional work
- Experience in the [Spotlight Initiative] is an asset;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
- Knowledge of a Nigeria Language is an asset.
How To Apply