Full-time United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF): International/National Consultant (Photographer) Recruitment
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
The Job :International/National Consultant (Photographer)
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job Number: 513637
Work Type: Consultancy
Purpose of Assignment
- The expertise is limited at the UNICEF Country Office and the process of deploying the services of a photographer will be easily facilitated under the terms of a longer-term consultancy.
Specific Project Objective to which the Consultant is related:
- To support the Country Office ongoing private and public advocacy work as well as partner engagement efforts, the Communication Section is looking to hire professional photographers who can produce high quality photography that be used in advocacy materials, programme communications, resource mobilization, donor communication, and media engagement.
Major Tasks to be accomplished
- Programme coverage – professional photojournalism/documentary coverage of UNICEF supported programmes as well as general advocacy on the subject i.e. coverage can include documentation of programme intervention as well as documenting the situation that shows the need for intervention.
- First person narrative visual storytelling with captions & quotes – professional photojournalism/documentary storytelling focused on an individual subject, telling the story through the life and experiences of an individual. Â Visual storytelling includes captions and first-person quotes furthering the story-telling. Possibly a hero character in the narrative that is facing a challenge. Give some additional personality to the individuals beyond the main problem they are affected by.
- Everyday Voices – portraits of people directly addressing the camera with their gaze, participating in their own representation with personal quotes that serve to further storytelling and engage audience in the issue through identification with an individual.
- Get consent for use of photos from relevant persons/authorities
- Provide advice on cutline (photo description) for photographs accompanying stories or reports
- Provide details on when and where photos were taken, subjects, relevance to UNICEF work
- Provide detailed caption information for selected photographs
- Transmission of broad edit of photographs with specifications including photo format, transmission, captioning, etc., following terms as described in UNICEF Digital Format & Transmission Terms.v.2014
- The contractor will edit from their own office.
- All hardware and software requirements will be provided by the consultant
- Photographs – both colour and black and white, as requested â€“ portraying the situation of children and women, as agreed on assignment.
- Best ofÂ� selection of photographs that have been taken during the assignment.
- A range of photos – close and wide, and landscape and portraits.
- Photographs provided to UNICEF on an external hard drive
- Detailed caption information to be included in the properties (under ”subject” in the ”details”Â� tab) of the photo as well as submitted on a word document
- Signed consent forms
- Recorded voices and sounds that match selected photos – to be discussed for individual assignments
Academic Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience and Competencies Required
- Degree in Communications, Arts, Media or any relevant field and/or certificates in photography is an asset
- Formal training or the equivalent experience in photography, minimum of 5 years of work experience
- Proven ability in photography and experience in humanitarian response
- Ability to assimilate and communicate complex visual messages in an engaging and child-friendly manner
- Awareness and/or experience with UNICEF’s humanitarian principles
- Awareness and/or experience with UNICEF’s activities in Nigeria
- Experience working in a development / humanitarian environment desirable
- Fluency in English; fluency in another Nigerian language an advantage
- Estimated time of consultancy and deadline for submission of end product: 11.5 months
Official Travel involved:
- Nationwide (Nigeria) but specific assignments to determine specific locations
- This being an LTA, consultants will be paid on a case by case basis for work. Full payment upon satisfactory completion of project.
How To Apply