Contract Wash Manager at the International Medical Corps (IMC)
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
The Job : Wash Manager
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Under the Supervision of the WASH Coordinator, the WASH Manager will be responsible for designing, planning and providing technical leadership in the implementation of IMC WASH activities
- She/he will closely work with the WASH team, IDPs and all stakeholders to ensure efficient delivery of adequate WASH services in the assigned areas.
- To take the lead in designing, managing and implementing IMC WASH programmes in Nigeria
- To promote community participation and ownership through liaising with beneficiary communities, establishing, training and supporting community engagement and ensuring that activities are implemented to reflect coverage and prioritized needs.
- Support identification of appropriate new activities in consultation with field staff, local communities, local authorities and organizations operational in Nigeria.
- Support the WASH teams in developing and implementing acceptable WASH infrastructure designs, using appropriate technology where possible
- Support the WASH teams in developing Bill of Quantities (BOQs) for all WASH infrastructure being undertaken by International Medical Corps Nigeria.
- Support the Programme Coordinator [PW1] in planning and programme development and application of management tools including the Budget Monitoring Tool.
- Support the WASH Team in developing relevant Training Modules and Monitoring Tools to be used for Community Trainings.
- Contribute towards development of relevant WASH policies, protocols and guidelines to be implemented within the WASH programme at country level.
- Contribute towards development of programme implementation approaches, strategies and the overall Country Programme Strategy
- Carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by the Programme coordinator.
Logistics and Budget Management:
- Provide input in the review of WASH related procurement requests, approve where appropriate and follow up with the Logistics/Procurement for timely delivery
- Support the WASH Teams in developing and reviewing activity based budgets for all WASH Program and program support components
- Review and monitor all expenditure on budgets in coordination the program coordinator[PW2]
- Review and approve as per authorization level, all WASH related cash requests from WASH Field team.
- Support logistics in developing technical tender/bid documents related to WASH Infrastructure constructions, consultancies and conduct technical evaluation of the same.
- Ensure all activities are carried out in accordance with local government procedures (e.g. site selection) and do not duplicate or interfere with activities proposed or carried out by the UN or other NGO
- Liaise with other organizations engaged in similar activities in Nigeria, including the government authorities, UN and other NGO
- Liaise closely with the programme coordinator [PW3] to ensure good integration and synergy of all programme activities.
- Represent International Medical Corps in all External Related Forums when called upon by the Programme Coordinators or the Country Director.
Capacity Building and Human Resource Management:
- Directly manage the WASH Field team and ensure that program activities are completed within the specified timeframe and to acceptable level of technical and program quality
- Conduct Annual staff appraisals to the field WASH Officer and WASH technician in collaboration with the Program Coordinator as well as review all appraisals for staff under the WASH Officer
- Facilitate staff training on areas of technical capacity gaps as captured in the appraisals
- Support field WASH Team in capacity building of the target communities, community volunteers and local authority where necessary
- Compile data/ information for WASH related donor reports in close coordination with field teams, the M&E Officer/ Manager and the Program Coordinator[PW5]
- Support the WASH team to deliver weekly updates in a timely manner.
- Compile all WASH Monthly Reports ( internal)
- Work with M&E team to develop WASH Indicator Monitoring and Evaluation Tools and review the same regularly to adjust to program changes.
- B.Eng. in Civil Engineering, B.Sc. Geology, Hydrology & Environmental Engineering or any relevant technical qualification. Professional qualification desirable.
- At least 3 year of WASH implementation experience with a non-profit, non-governmental organization or community development experience.
- Experience in ground water development (motorized, hand pump, and solar installations)
- Experience in the use of AutoCAD, development of BOQs and supervision of construction work.
- Demonstrated skill in capacity building at community level.
- Experience in hygiene promotion, water quality monitoring, & community mobilization.
- Communicate well in Hausa & Kanuri is an added advantage.
- Excellent experience with Microsoft Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Word
- Excellent English communication skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Flexible, able to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
- Willingness to travel to other Borno LGAs outside of Damboa & Dikwa for up to 2 weeks as required by supervisor;
Ethical Conduct for IMC Staff:
- The International Medical Corps maintains a code of standards of conduct that shall govern the performances of its employees engaged in the award and administration of contracts
- No employee, officer, or agent shall participate in the selection, award, or administration of a contract supported/by donor funds if a real or apparent conflict of interest would be involved
- Such a conflict would arise when the employee, officer, or agent, any member of his or her immediate family, his or her partner, or an organization which employs or is about to employ any of the parties indicated above, has a financial or other interest in the firm selected for an award
- IMC officers, employees, or agents shall neither solicit nor accept gratuities, favors, or anything of monetary value from contractors, or parties to sub-agreements
- These standards shall provide for disciplinary actions to be applied for violations of such standards by IMC officers, employees, or agents.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values
- Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should address and send their Applications to the “Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps” via the e-mail: [email protected]
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email
- Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered
- For Nigeria Nationals Only
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.