Full-time World Health Organization (WHO): National Consultant (Non-Communicabe Diseases) Vacancy
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the United Nations organization that specialized in public health. Our goal is to build a better, healthier future for people all over Nigeria. Working through offices in in all 36 States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), WHO staff work side by side with governments and other partners to ensure the highest attainable level of health for all people. Together we strive to combat diseases – infectious diseases like tuberculosis, polio, influenza and HIV and non-communicable ones like cancer and heart disease.
The Job : National Consultant (Non-Communicabe Diseases)
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Req ID: 1704248
Contractual Arrangement: Individual Service Contractor
Contract duration: 6 Months
Purpose of the Post
- Globally, Non-communicable Diseases (NCDs) are leading causes of death, killing more people than all other causes of death combined. In contrast to the popular assumption that NCDs occurs mostly in developed countries, available evidence shows that 80% of NCDs deaths occur in low and middle income countries and NCDs are the most frequent cause of death in most of these countries. According NCDs global status report 2014, NCDs were responsible for 38 million (68%) of the world’s 56 million deaths in 2012.WHO projects that, globally, NCD deaths will increase by 17% over the next ten years.
- The greatest increase will be seen in the African region (27%) and the Eastern Mediterranean Region (25%). Nigeria being the country with the highest population in Africa will also share a large proportion of this epidemic.
Description of Duties
Working under the overall leadership of the WR/Nigeria and the direct supervision of the HSE Coordinator, the National Professional Officer, Non-Communicable Diseases/Conditions (NCD) will serve as the focal person for NCDs under the Disease Prevention and Control (DPC) Cluster of the WHO Country Office in Nigeria. Specifically, the post holder will:
- Support the Ministry of Health to develop and implement comprehensive and integrated policies and strategies for the management of the main chronic non-communicable diseases and their risk factors: cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, cancer, oral health, chronic respiratory diseases and sickle cell diseases;
- Provide technical support for the development of guidelines to promote use of community-based approaches, affordable strategies and technologies for the delivery of quality care services including primary, secondary and tertiary prevention;
- Provide technical assistance to the country for the prevention and control of NCDs and their risk factors integrated into national health policies and strategies, and, beyond the health sector;
- Support the country capacity building and provide technical assistance and advice to the Ministry of Health and its partners to develop, implement and evaluate strategies and action plans for the prevention and control of NCDs in line with the NCDs Global Action Plan 2013-2020;
- Forge partnerships and networks to enhance multi-disciplinary and multi-sectoral collaboration to address NCDs and their risk factors in the country;
- Contribute to resource mobilization for WCO technical support to the country using existing mechanisms at country level;
- Support data collection, research and information dissemination and use for policy and programme development, advocacy and awareness-raising on NCDs and their risk factors;
- Work closely with the national authorities and other partners, and liaise with WHO technical staff in the Regional Office
- Prepare technical and administrative reports and presentations as required;
- Perform any other tasks/duties as assigned by supervisors
- Essential: Medical Degree from a recognized University
- Desirable: Master of Public Health from a recognized University .
- Essential: At least 5 years working experience in prevention and control of non-communicable diseases and risk factors.
- Desirable:Working experience in related areas with WHO, other UN agencies or other recognized international organizations
Use of language skills:
- Essential: Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Desirable: French is an added advantage
- Specific skills required: Computer abilities such as word processing, spread-sheets; data analysis tool such as Epi-Info, SPSS and excellent report writing skills.
How To Apply