Full-time World Health Organization (WHO): Community Engagement Assistant Recruitment
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
The Job : Community Engagement Assistant
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job ID: 1900658
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract duration: 6 months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Purpose of the Position
- Nigeria continues to make strides in polio eradication, however, the resurgence of the circulating Vaccine Derived Polio Viruses type 2 (cVDPV2) is posing a challenge mainly due to high immunity gaps due to low demand for routine immunization.
- The national government along with development partners are currently implementing various strategies to address the challenges of immunity gaps, which include engagement of communities through their leaders to ensure all eligible children completed 5 immunization visits as per schedule.
Description of Duties
The incumbent is expected to support national authorities (National, State, or LGA level), partners and other appropriate stakeholders in the following specific tasks:
- Supporting the planning, implementation, supervision and monitoring of NERICC Community Engagement framework
- Support in the planning of all operational and programmatic activities for community engagement at the national and sub-national levels
- Support in conducting baseline and end line assessments to determine project outcomes and impact including change in behavior, health seeking behaviors of communities regarding immunisation including qualitative methods.
- Using the results of the baseline assessment, support in developing strategic communication plan to target the populations in the project states.
- Support the communication and social mobilization aspect of Routine Immunization intensification and community engagement implementation in project states
- Support the development and implementation of project Visibility strategies
- Support in developing Guidelines, SOPs and Training materials for personnel on community engagement, interpersonal communication skills
- Support the process of identification and community engagement focal persons at state and LGA levels as well their capacity building activities for the selected focal persons
- Support the compilation of monthly CE data (line list, reconciliation, defaulter etc.) and other project deliverables from the implementing states and generation of monthly feedback
- Facilitate the conduct of monthly review meetings with the stakeholders in the 2 states to ensure adequate feedback about program performance.
- Provide regular supportive supervision targeting at de-bottlenecking to the implementing states
- Support the coordination of WHO community engagement support in 6 Routine Immunization MoU states.
- supporting states to conduct periodic routine immunization intensification for targeted LGAs or communities based on analysis of prevailing immunity gaps and limitations of coverage of current interventions such as Optimized Integrated Routine Immunization Sessions (OIRIS)
- Conduct high level advocacy to traditional leaders to ensure maximum support to community engagement processes at all levels and provide feedback on the traditional institution on their performance
- Support the identification of best practices and support the process of reward and sanctions of traditional leaders by the emirates
- Essential: Bachelor’s degree in Health Communication, Mass Communication, Social Sciences.
- Desirable: Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- At least 10 years’ experience commensurate with the duties of the posts and its grade in an international, public or private organization of repute
- Minimum of five years’ successful experience leading and supporting community health interventions.
- Implementing community engagement in immunization / MNCH in northern states within Nigeria
- Previous related work experience in the UN or other International Development Agencies.
Use of language skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English
- Desirable: Working knowledge of Hausa Language
Specific skills required:
- Have demonstrated proficiency using intermediate level software applications, including PowerPoint, MS word, spreadsheet and databases
- Demonstrated leadership skills – Ability to lead teams to achieve specified outcomes.
- Experience in coordinating project management meetings with state stakeholders, implementing partners and other NGOs, and beneficiary partners.
- Be able to engage community gatekeepers and key opinion leaders on health matters in Northern states
- Be able to lead and coordinate state wide demand generation activities
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with people at various levels and of different background
- Producing results
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Communicating in a credible and efficient way
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Communicating in a credible and effective way;
- Fostering integration and team work
How To Apply